Rupert Grint heading to Broadway in “It’s Only a Play”!

RupertNewsIconJune 17th, 2014, 12:30pm– Entertainment Weekly is reporting the most exciting news of the year – Rupert Grint will make his Broadway debut this October in the play “It’s Only a Play”. Rupert joins an all-star cast including Matthew Broderick, Nathan Lane, Stockard Channing and Megan Mullally, it will be directed by Jack O’Brien.

The play will run for a limited 17 weeks and open at Broadway’s Schoenfeld Theatre on October 9th. How excited are you about this news??

Here’s a synopsis – Rupert will play the character Frank Finger:

It’s opening night of Peter Austin’s (Matthew Broderick) new play as he anxiously awaits to see if his show is a hit. With his career on the line, he shares his big First Night with his best friend, a television star (Nathan Lane), his fledgling producer (Megan Mullally), his erratic leading lady (Stockard Channing), his wunderkind director (Rupert Grint), an infamous drama critic (F. Murray Abraham) and a fresh-off-the-bus coat check attendant (Micah Stock in his Broadway debut).

It’s alternately raucous, ridiculous and tender — reminding audiences why there’s no business like show business. Thank God!

We will update as soon as more news comes out about this, when we get official confirmation from Rupert’s reps as well as ticket information.

ItsOnlyAPlay

UPDATE: We have just received the official press release from Rupert’s reps and Rupert has this to say about joining It’s Only a Play:

I’m thrilled to be making my Broadway debut alongside this amazing cast and creative team.

Although, opening night will be October 9th, it will be possible to see the play from September 4th when previews begin. And you can get your tickets today – get them right HERE.

14 Comments to "Rupert Grint heading to Broadway in “It’s Only a Play”!"

June 17th, 2014 at 12:51 PM

This is so exciting! Especially with other cast members like Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane. The case alone will make it a hit.

Mary
June 17th, 2014 at 1:01 PM

This is awesome news. Would love to go and maybe possibly meet him. But alas the odds are never in my favor. Live in Texas and money is always an issue. Not to mention I’d scare the poor man in person and be to star struck to get a pic and kick myself later. Failure. But this is awesome news. I know he will be fabulous. Curious…will he do American accent or be his beautiful British self? Either way…Love this guy. Break a leg Rupert! But not literally. :)

June 17th, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Yaaaaaay!! :D

But New York?? Damn, that’s so far away from here!! I can start saving if I want to go there!! Maybe this Christmas, he he.

June 17th, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Oooh, I’m over the MOON over this! :D Loved Mojo.

Holiday plans in the making, methinks…

Aida
June 17th, 2014 at 1:44 PM

17 weeks go flying, but I hope I can save enough money to go there!! I would LOVE! to finally meet him in person. FINGERS CROSSED!

Dominis
June 17th, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I won a trip to New York once. Do you think odds are in my favour if I try again? I’d love to see the handsome ginger live once more. ;) If only from afar. Go, Rupert, yey, make us proud!:)

Marika
June 17th, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I love it when such exciting news comes like BOOM!
totally wasn’t expecting theatre this year. but Rupert is full of surprises :) very happy for him!

Your Name
June 17th, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Guys guys guys ! According to the official website ,The preview date of this play is on September 4th OMG ! AND THE TICKETS ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE ON TELECHARGE.COM !

Chechula
June 17th, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Great news. Good for Rupert

June 20th, 2014 at 5:48 AM

Also,does this mean that Enemy of Man will not be happening until next year?

galadriel12
June 20th, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Great news. I love it. Story sounds very interesting and a fantadtic casr. F. Murray Abraham? Just watched him in Homeland.

Your Name
June 22nd, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Don’t want to ruin the mood but who wrote the press release ? Isn’t the so-called praise from Martin Scorsese denied by Scorsese himself ages ago? Should somebody acknowledge his PR team to remove that part from the article, otherwise it might get awkward in the future…just saying…

Malene
June 22nd, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Reg. the press release – where did you read it? We didn’t post the full press release because of several inconsistencies. Maybe you should give this good advice to whoever posted the press release in its entirety?

Unfortunately, it’s not our job to tell his PR team how to do their job. We do agree that it”s unfortunate to include those things, but we do our job by deciding not to post those things for everybody to read.

Your Name
June 23rd, 2014 at 7:35 AM

@MALENE I don’t want to post the direct link here but it’s not so hard to find. And it’s very thoughtful of you not posting the entire article :) Actualy I think maybe you should delete our conversation here just in case.
As for the incorrect infos, maybe somebody should connect the team behind IOaP so they can do something about it ?