Rupert Grint in Talks to Make West End Debut in “Mojo”!

OtherMovieNewsIcon2July 5th, 2013, 1:48pm– MojoCover The internet has been buzzing since last night when The Daily Mail published an article about Rupert Grint being in talks to make his theatre debut in the West End production of Mojo. The news spread quickly, especially since the article states that Rupert already took part in a reading with director Ian Rickson and actors Ben Whishaw, Daniel Mays and Rupert’s former Cherrybomb costar Robert Sheehan.

This is very exciting news and we definitely need to keep our fingers crossed. We have just heard back from Rupert‘s representatives, and although they are not ready to make any confirmation on the news, they do say that he is in talks to star in the play.

The Jez Butterworth play has previously been adapted for the stage as well as the cinema, and although we don’t know yet which character Rupert is being considered for, the play itself sounds very challenging and intriguing:

The drama is set in a lowlife club in Soho in 1958 and focuses on a handsome rock singer with star potential who gets caught up in uncouth goings-on involving a gangster, club owner and band manager.

UPDATE: Today, photographer Charlie Gray posted this very interesting tweet:

Fantastic shoot this morning with the beautiful Helen McCory & charming Rupert Grint!

Rupert‘s representatives have told us that this was a charity photoshoot and that we can expect the pictures to be out around October. We can’t wait to see them!

22 Comments to "Rupert Grint in Talks to Make West End Debut in “Mojo”!"

Sara
July 5th, 2013 at 2:05 PM

OMG!

Mary
July 5th, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I love it but I’m like 101% I’ll never get to see it. </3

Anonymous
July 5th, 2013 at 9:08 PM

is it too early to make my 2014 travel plan to England ? gottowatchitgottowatchitgottowatchitgottowatchit

Goose
July 6th, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Awesome, I hope he does it. Would be a great experience for him. Though too bad I can’t see this since I’m in the US. :(

poth
July 6th, 2013 at 6:11 AM

knowing rupert..it’s probably going to be a supporting role. Hm. At least he’s doing something.

July 6th, 2013 at 9:59 AM

@poth: I’m not sure why you are here if you are not going to support Rupert’s career. Honestly, the last thing Rupert needs is people questioning his career choices. Rupert is the biggest name of the cast, so he could well get the lead role.

So what if Rupert has supporting roles?! Not every role has to be the lead, that actually limits the number of roles available. I think it is important to hone his acting skills with being part of a variety of roles than to take the lead in every single movie that is thrown at him.

Anonymous
July 6th, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Agree with Tania. As long as they are well-written and excellently performed ,I don’t see anything wrong with supporting roles. besides, Rupert is always well-known as a hell of a scene-stealer. I’d rather see him as a brilliant supporting role in a really great project than 10 crappy leading roles in those big but worthless blockbusters.
and @poth: I don’t understand what do you mean by “at least he’s doing something”, he HAS BEEN doing things all these years, not being on the tabloids’ front pages every other day doesn’t mean he does nothing.

Linda
July 6th, 2013 at 12:08 PM

poth….not every actor has to be the lead every time. All of the “leads” from HP have done mainly supporting rolls in movies since HP ended. Give the guy a break! Better yet, give the guy the same break everyone seems to give Dan and Emma!! I’m excited for him. I hope it’s a big success.

Linda
July 6th, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Why does “role” become ” roll” on my ipad? Stupid auto correct.

July 7th, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Lol at the rolls thing XD

I’m so excited for this!! ^^ If Rupert gets a role in this, I’m sure he’ll be praised for his performance, whatever role he has. I don’t really care about how big the role is because the lead is not always the best role.

Anonymous
July 7th, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I’ve been gone for awhile but the last I heard, Rupert was going to be in The Drummer with Chloe Moretz. Is that still happening???

Malene
July 7th, 2013 at 3:45 PM

@Anonymous – It looks like that has been pushed/cancelled. It’s been removed from Rupert’s IMDb page and the director and writers are planning a biopic about Greg Allman instead. Unfortunately, I think there’s little chance The Drummer will happen :(

Anonymous
July 7th, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Darn… :( Thank you!!

July 7th, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I’m really excited about this. I’ve never seen a play really. I mean, I went in 8th grade to a theatre to see actors perform some of E. A. Poe’s stories, but I’ve never seen a full length play. So I’m really excited.

And what I love about Rupert is that he takes on roles that he loves. He doesn’t care about what anyone else thinks. It’s about what he wants and as long as he is happy I’m happy too. I’ve loved everything he’s been in. While not everything has been amazing, they’ve been fun to watch. Into The White is definitely his most challenging role and it’s the one that stood out for critics. Some of the best actors out there aren’t leading men, but the guy (or girl) who puts every once of themselves into the role they decided on.

July 7th, 2013 at 11:36 PM

@Tao: Couldn’t have said it better! A lot of the time, the most outstanding performance is that of the supporting actors. Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight comes to mind- he owned the movie and was the stand out.

I too love that Rupert walks to the beat of his own drum and doesn’t conform to what people expect him to do. He seems to find projects that he will enjoy and that has a great group of actors around him. Rupert can only get better with these projects.

I’m excited to see Rupert work with Robert again!

July 8th, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Well said, Tao and Tania!! :D

rupert fan
July 8th, 2013 at 3:46 PM

is clarity a magazine? :o

Malene
July 8th, 2013 at 3:53 PM

@rupert fan – it says charity ;-)

Roel
July 8th, 2013 at 5:34 PM

A Rupert and Robert reunion. Sounds like an old Paul Simon-song. I agree with Tao. He just takes roles he loves, and not to please the big bobo’s. Great news! :D

Dominis
July 8th, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Erm, forgive me for being oblivious here, but is Helen McCory actually Helen McCrory, as in Draco’s mom? ;) It’s just that I’ve never heard of Helen McCory and I feel kindda stupid here. Sorry for being difficult, just trying to make some sort of sense for myself. :)

July 8th, 2013 at 6:21 PM

@dominis: Helen McCrory did play Nacissa Malfoy :)

Dominis
July 8th, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Ha, just a spelling mistake then, and I’m not a complete Harry Potter retard!:) Happy camper here, thanks for clarifying.
It’s nice to see our favorite ginger hang out with his old HP cast, isn’t it? But then again, there were so many distinguished acting figures in those movies it’s almost hard to avoid re-appearing with one!
I’m sure it will be epic, with Rupert in the picture it always is. :)

« Older Comments