Rupert Grint’s Super Clyde not picked up by CBS!

SuperClydeIcon2May 11th, 2:54pm, 2013– Unfortunately, news has hit the web tonight that Rupert Grint‘s pilot project Super Clyde has not been picked up by CBS. Yesterday, we got the first signs that it would be very very difficult for the pilot to get picked when The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that four comedies had been picked already (Crazy Ones, The Millers, Mom and We Are Men). There were many very good pilots up for graps this year on CBS, and Super Clyde was just really unlucky not to be picked.

Today several of Rupert‘s cast members on the pilot confirmed the bad news.
Justine Lupe wrote it first:

Sad to say CBS SUPER CLYDE isn’t going on… Grateful to have gotten to have some fun with @TyLabine, @stephenfry &the rest! :)

Tyler Labine was quick to reply:

@iamjustinelupe @stephenfry it was indeed great to get the opportunity to work with you both. Grint too. Everybody was awesome. Truly.

And lastly, Laura Ortiz gave her reaction to the news:

Thank you guys for all the support! it was an amazing project to have been a part of!! #superclyde :(

Of course, this is a huge disappointment for all us Rupert fans, but we have to keep a positive attitude and support Rupert in his future projects – he has an uncanny ability to surprise us, so we can’t wait to see what project will be announced next.
But let’s not remember this project as a disappointment, let’s all go to the galleries and enjoy the lovely pictures we got of Rupert filming in Los Angeles.

normal_Rupert_Grint0_EXCL_32613_26wtmkwtmk

As a last effort to support this project and show everyone how much we want it to get made, we will start a little campaign which we hope everyone will take part in – on May 15th we’ll be tweeting FX and TBS in hopes that they consider picking up Super Clyde. To learn more click here.

29 Comments to "Rupert Grint’s Super Clyde not picked up by CBS!"

Rober
May 11th, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Super Sad :-(

Anonymous
May 11th, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Maybe Super Clyde is a Sign Rupert should stick to Movies. Maybe there is a great Chance waiting ahead of him .Maybe some Director will see the Super Clyde Pilot and give Rupert a great Chance. Who knows

Everything happens for a Reason. We just need to believe in it and wait for the Reason to happen>>> Super Clyde

Linda
May 11th, 2013 at 4:20 PM

CBS missed a golden opportunity to get huge ratings letting this one go. This series had a built in audience at the get go. Oh we’ll…sad, but Rupert can stick to movies.

pts
May 11th, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I could be wrong but I think cbs thought to play it safe by taking shows with bigger names. Robin Williams, sarah michelle Gellar, will Arnett. etc. bummer. would have been nice to Rupert get some good buzz. that’s what he needs most imo. his small movies have been nice, but he needs to get more publicity imo

Sara
May 11th, 2013 at 4:51 PM

CBS just doesn’t really pick single cams. It’s been 6 years since they last did! And they have an older viewers demograph so they went with Robin. Maybe if Garcia only had SC and not also a multicam show, it might have had a better shot. It still sucks balls though, it was among favorite scripts of many people and it screened really really well.

Jenn
May 11th, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I never thought it fit CBS’s brand. So I am not surprised at all. Might have fit with early BIg Bang Theory, but I haven’t seen the show lately. Be patient, it might take years for Rupert to get out of the HP shadow bc that’s show business. He should do some UK/Cable show with short seasons so he can also do more movies [or *cough* Doctor Who as 12].

Sara
May 11th, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I thought SC always suited FOX or NBC better…..or what the heck maybe even the CW ;p

Dominis
May 11th, 2013 at 6:10 PM

How incredibly short-sighted of CBS; bad CBS, go home and study fan-trends harder! :P Disappointing, really! :(
I mean, I don’t know enough about networks’ profiles cause I don’t really watch that much TV, but I was prepared to give this one a chance cause I think the world is a bit sick of bullets flying and all the gore and misery, so it would’ve been quite refreshing to set the stage for a bit more positive hope-inspiring show .People like hope, that’s why they do lottery.
And who cares if they didn’t have many slots open for comedies, they should have made the effort to fit this one in or make a new goddamn slot for this, if they were out, grr! :S (Umm, I guess you can tell I’ve got a bit of a temper, sorry about that… ;))
Anyway, since I never really warmed up to the idea of Rupert leaving this side of Atlantic especially not for that talent-sucking hole of a Hollywood, there is this one positive thing I should really see in this, but at the moment I’m just to ticked off to appreciate it.
It would be interesting to know, however, what made him see the idea of performing in a TV show appealing in the first place. Maybe it was the stability of the set he finds appealing (I know, what an out-of-this-world idea!), but personally I like seeing various facets of his acting skills coming to life through different genres of movies better. I’d like to see him work on his edge, I think he makes the best of it! :)
Anyway, good luck to our favorite ginger! :)

Anonymous
May 11th, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I like ur plan. Maybe @rupertgrintnet @rupert_grint_us can combine forces and reach out to greg garcia the creator of the show. I really want super clyde to happen.

Anonymous
May 12th, 2013 at 1:56 AM

maybe we get in touch with this guy? :P

Poopie
May 12th, 2013 at 3:03 AM

He should stick to making British films/tv shows that will hone his skills more rather than making it america. Honestly his star power there isn’t big because Hollywood is superficial and prefers people with conventional good looks rather than talent.

Rae
May 12th, 2013 at 3:23 AM

CBS has Mike and Molly and the stars aren’t the conventional good looking type. In general, actors don’t have to be as conventional good looking than actresses. Rupert’s not trying to be the next Brad Pitt. If Rupert wants to do American projects, he should. If he wants to do British projects he should. He should do what he wants than what fans want. I’m upset that Super Clyde didn’t get picked up, but that doesn’t mean Rupert shouldn’t do TV or American projects or that his career is over. It’s only just begun.

Anonymous
May 12th, 2013 at 6:21 AM

@Poopie read what Rae wrote

Anyway @ICM Stuff, it’s twitter.com/FXNetworks you made a little Mistake at the Campaign Site

Anonymous
May 12th, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I was disappointed to hear that Super Clyde didn’t get picked up. I was looking forward to this show since news broke out about it in February. I thought this would be a great opportunity for Rupert’s career and the other actors involved. If this show doesn’t get picked up by another network, it doesn’t mean the end. Rupert is a fantastic actor and hopefully he will be given more wonderful opportunities. But let’s stay positive and hopefully a network will pick this show up :)

RG
May 12th, 2013 at 1:48 PM

1f the 15th is when all networks are officially revealing their line-ups, why not start doing something now so the decision makers at CBS can change their minds or other networks can grab it and then prepare something for the 15th? From what I understand, the 15th is when advertisers see their presentations and then choose what shows to buy airtime on. Perhaps research sponsors of other CBS shows, or sponsors of other networks, and reach out to them too. Maybe it’s more complicated than that but just a thought.

This is what I found about upfronts:
In the United States, the major broadcast networks’ upfronts occur in New York City during the third week of May, the last full week of that month’s sweeps period. The networks announce their fall primetime schedules, including tentative launch dates (i.e., fall or midseason) for new television programming, which may be “picked up” the week before. The programming announcements themselves are usually augmented with clips from the new television series, extravagant musical numbers, comedic scenes, and appearances by network stars, and take place at grand venues such as Lincoln Center, Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall. It is also the time when it is announced (by virtue of not being on the fall schedule) which shows are cancelled for the next season. In recent years, the networks have mostly revealed this information to the public a few days before the actual presentation. Most cable networks present earlier in the spring since they usually program for the summer months; press attention to these announcements is usually much lighter.

Anonymous
May 12th, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Everyone should also be tweeting Greg Garcia directly right now. He doesn’t not seem to be shopping this project anywhere else.

May 12th, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I’m disappointed that SC was not picked up by CBS, it was great opportunity for the network to tap into the under 30 crowd with a sitcom that is directly aimed at them, esp under 30 males who can relate to the title character. However, it is not surprising at all, considering the ‘comedies’ that are on CBS at the moment. Just my opinion but sitcoms, except for Big Bang, are not funny at all esp Two Broke Girls (which gets voted as one of the 10 worst shows on Aussie TV every year!). I think SC was sold to the wrong network, similar shows like Raising Hope and Malcolm in the Middle were on Fox.

I’m not all that impressed with the sitcoms that were picked by CBS, there’s nothing special or groundbreaking about them. The Crazy Ones sound a lot like Just Shoot Me- father-daughter ad agency. The Millers and Mom sound boring- skipping those for sure. I have a feeling that CBS will live to regret this decision- I think one or two of these shows will be cancelled mid-season or next year. None seem like long running series to me.

I find it hard to believe that no consideration was given to Rupert and Stephen Fry’s already established fanbases (I had to google Will Arnett), that SC could have easily sold overseas, and that SC had genuine social buzz and anticipation as opposed to the other sitcoms.

@Jenn: I would love to see Rupert as the new Dr Who, with this being Matt Smith’s last series and with the Dr is getting younger- who knows what will happen and the Whovians are open to the idea of Rupert being the next (and ginger) Dr, I hope Steven Moffat is listening!

RG
May 13th, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Agree with Tania. CBS really missed an opportunity to tap into the under 30 crowd and the established fanbases of Rupert and Stephen, especially overseas. I’m sure Robin Williams, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Wlll Arnett have their fans, but can they compare to the behemoth of Harry Potter and its fandom?

May 13th, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Is there still a chance that we can see the pilot episode somewhere? So what happens now with that footage? Is it ever going to be released to the public?

Anonymous
May 13th, 2013 at 8:26 AM

@BonnieRadcliffe unless the show eventually gets picked up by some network I don’t think the pilot footage will be shown publicly.

Anonymous
May 14th, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Everyone should be tweeting today – not tomorrow. Tomorrow is too late

TaoTao
May 15th, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hi anonymous. The reason we’re doing it on the 15th is because that is the day of the CBS upfronts. This network, as well as the other networks, have already done their 2013-2014 schedule. Our goal is to let everyone know that we want Super Clyde and what better day to do it then the day CBS announces what they decided on? (Which was done LONG before today or yesterday.) :)

Me!
May 15th, 2013 at 5:51 PM

@Tao when will they announce their final decision ?

May 27th, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Here’s a very intriguing but truthful article about the pilots that the networks ordered to series: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/box-seat/pilot-season-collette-taylor-dramas-picked-up-20130527-2n6f9.html

The writer is correct to say that ‘What is clear from the outset is that nothing smells so fresh in Hollywood as someone else’s idea. The lion’s share of pilots which have been “ordered to series” at the 2013 LA Screenings are remakes, reboots and adaptations’, and that ‘That signals Hollywood’s deep sense of caution, as much as it flags a new open-mindedness. A decade ago a foreign format couldn’t get a hearing. Now, so long as it is a successful foreign format, it’s all anyone wants to look at. Genuinely new ideas are deemed too risky.

Intriguingly, some of the most “buzz-worthy” pilots did not progress past the pilot stage. Super Clyde, which starred Harry Potter actor Rupert Grint as a fast-food worker who decides to become a superhero and a reboot of Beverly Hills Cop were among those which generated a lot of discussion, but did not take the next step.’

I think this just goes to show that the networks aren’t willing to nor are they open to the idea of new and creative ideas- they are essentially not risk takers, so pilots like Super Clyde is not what the networks are looking for. It’s a shame that the networks are willing to settle for something tried and old. The state of TV in the future doesn’t look very good. I still maintain that Super Clyde is CBS’ lost and they will live to regret this decision, as they have ordered some very weak pilots to series.

TaoTao
May 27th, 2013 at 6:15 PM

It’s stupid, isn’t it? They are talking about cable being the reason they are losing out so much. Yet, the truth is, cable is taking risks and it sometimes pays off and sometimes doesn’t. When you think about some of the bigger serialized shows on cable it’s off the wall stuff that network TV thinks won’t work. Just think about it… True Blood, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Vikings… just to name a few. Sure that three of them are based on something widely popular, but network TV wouldn’t take the risks of putting anything like this out. They claim Super Clyde “didn’t fit” but how can you have The Big Bang Theory which is supposedly full of geeks, but this won’t fit with it? How is “The Millers” remotely close to TBBT? And what is Mom other than 2.5 Men with girls? And what about “We Are Men”? Isn’t that just a weird version of How I Met Your Mother? The only thing I feel they really took a shot at and looks different is The Crazy Ones. Other than that… it looks like the same formulaic crap they’re always doing.

June 2nd, 2013 at 1:46 AM

@Tao: I agree with the sitcoms that CBS has decided to go for. The Crazy Ones actually sound a lot like Just Shoot Me! The Millers, Mom and We are Men offer nothing special and reading reports from the CBS upfronts- only The Millers got remote laughter and others fell flat. I wonder what the executives think- they don’t seem to understand their audience at all. I mean, Super Clyde is perfect with TBBT with a similar target market and Super Clyde could have bought the under 30 male demographic as well, which CBS doesn’t have a hold of at the moment. I agree, I don’t those who watch TBBT would be interested in watching any of the new CBS sitcoms- just my opinion because I love TBBT!

Anyway, I sure another more exciting project is waiting for Rupert around the corner.

Lara
June 8th, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Rejectd!

Joan
July 16th, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I’m pretty sure that whatever stupid shows CBS decided to pick up instead are going to suck. Can’t Garcia just sell it to somebody else? HBO maybe?

Leanne
October 9th, 2013 at 3:41 PM

If CBS does not want it why not another station.
There are so many now a days.
I watched the pilot and I liked it.

« Older Comments