Rupert Grint Reported To Star In CBS Pilot Comedy ‘Super Clyde’!

rupertnewsFebruary 13th, 2013, 9:04pm–Well, this exciting news! According to TVLine, Rupert Grint is set to star in the comedy ‘Super Clyde‘! Rupert is set to play the lead, a burger-flipper in a pilot comedy for CBS. For those outside of the US, that is one of the big networks on TV here. According to TVLine the pilot is a: “single-camera project from Raising Hope writer/EP Greg Garcia follows a meek fast food worker who decides to become a super hero.

We will be checking with Rupert’s representatives with more on this. For those who may not understand how TV works in America, a pilot does not mean it will be picked up by the studio only that the studio has acquired the rights to air it if they so desire. We probably won’t know more about this until May when network television stations have their ‘upfronts’ and release schedules for the following year.

UPDATE: The Hollywood Reporter has more on the role: “The comedy from Raising Hope’s Greg Garcia centers on a meek, unassuming fast-food worker decides to become a super hero.

Grint will play the title role of Clyde, the well-meaning and sweet yet slightly neurotic guy who never feels like he really fits in. The avid comic book reader considers himself a borderline agoraphobic with mild to severe anxiety issues who wishes he were a super hero himself. When Clyde inherits a $100,000 a month inheritance from his long-dead eccentric Uncle Bill, he decides that the cash will be his secret super power and will use it only for good and reward the good-hearted.”

UPDATE 2: CONFIRMED! We just received word from Rupert’s reps that this is indeed true, so we will have more updates about Super Clyde in the future! Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

31 Comments to "Rupert Grint Reported To Star In CBS Pilot Comedy ‘Super Clyde’!"

TaoTao
February 13th, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I’m so excited. CBS is one of the biggest stations here. It is always number one and has the likes of NCIS, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds and more!

Maura
February 13th, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Wow! This is all kinds of awesome! Rupert + Greg Garcia = Amazing! Greg Garcia has written two of my favorite shows ever! My Name is Earl (ran for 4 or 5 years on NBC, cancelled before its time) and Raising Hope (currently on Fox in its 3rd season) I am so excited about this one, I can’t even begin to express it!

Vanessa
February 13th, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Good ol’ Uncle Bilius!

patrick
February 13th, 2013 at 10:52 PM

def exciting news!

February 14th, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Wow, this is HUGE!! This is such a career change of course. I admit I had thought about the possibility of Rupert working on TV, but I never really thought it would happen because I thought Rupert would prefer to stick with films, but it’s not like I’m not liking the change! This way we’ll get to see Rupert EVERY WEEK for about 20 minutes and he’ll do lots and lots of promotions and will appear in many events.

BTW, do you think that part of the reason he liked this role is because he’s a burger-flipper, like his long-time hero Spongebob Squarepants? ;)

I’m liking how it sounds :D It’s a little bit like Kick-Ass and Super. When is this set to start airing? I can’t wait!! ^^ Is this for next season?

Leila
February 14th, 2013 at 3:10 AM

well, i wont have the chance to see him because i dnt have CBS :( as im from Europe

Mary
February 14th, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I was kinda hoping he would make a cameo on one of my favorite tv shows. But this is beyond my wildest dreams. Im so thrilled. I hope the pilot passes and makes it to fruition. I can’t wait to hear more. Wondering if this had to do with his visit to California recently or not. More surprises to come Im sure. Thank you RG.US.net for the epic news about our favorite ginger. Please keep it coming. We love you Rupert! Wishing you all the luck in the world. ♥

February 14th, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Filming news of any kind are always the best kind of news! :D So this is totally perfect, sooo excited. I’m really looking forward to it. Hope it comes over to Europe as well.

Super Rupert! :D

Linda
February 14th, 2013 at 10:12 AM

So happy to hear this. I hope it gets picked up by CBS. And…that it’s given a chance to gain an audience if it is! Thank goodness Rupert seems to have a “built in” audience already! Can’t wait to (hopefully) be able to see his face and hear his lovely voice every week!!

galadriel12
February 14th, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Now that’s what I call a great Valentine gift. :D

Lets hope the pilot gets received well by the test audience and the CBS brass so it can be included in the fall schedule.

Hmm, if Rupert indeed starts working with CBS regularly, how big is the chance he’ll get a guest role in my fave tv show Criminal Minds? That would be a dream come true. *sigh*

Calum
February 14th, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Galadriel: Even working on a really popular CBS show, it’s doubtful he’ll be on Criminal Minds, because the executive producer/creators control show content. However, he may get guest spots on other Greg Garcia shows, like Raising Hope, or whatever else he makes.

Maria
February 14th, 2013 at 1:14 PM

@Leila if this will be a good Success it might be sold in other Countries and air there like NCIS for Example

Leila
February 14th, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Thanx Maria, i hope :/

RupeFan
February 14th, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Wow. Completely unexpected….I thought he’d stick to films but it’s great to see he’s stretching his acting skills, I love Rupert as an actor, people definitely underestimate him. Can’t wait for this to air
I really hope the pilot passes through, I’ll definitely be watching

February 14th, 2013 at 6:35 PM

This is such a great career move for Rupert. I mean, we know how great Rupert is doing comedy and is so underrated, hopefully will see how good his is as an actor once this pilot is done. The pilot sounds quite ‘Kickass’-ish, if so it would be so good. Plus Greg Gracia has written some great sitcoms. I love Raising Hope.

I guess, Rupert could still do movies, a lot of TV actors do movies in the off season. But let’s not get too ahead of ourselves.

Calum
February 14th, 2013 at 7:33 PM

It depends on how long they get off/how much free time they want. Unfortunately, the off-seasons is the only spare time actors get between their TV commitments.

TaoTao
February 14th, 2013 at 10:43 PM

From what I’ve gathered from seeing when my favorite shows are back in production and when they end their season, it’s usually around April-July they actors are on hiatus. That’s plenty of time to get films in, especially the smaller types. Also apparently, according to some articles I read, half hour comedies give the actors even more leeway.

And yes, if this show takes off and is a hit here, it will go over seas. Sometimes they even make deals before it even airs to have it in other countries. It just depends on the project. With Rupert attached, it might have a better chance of getting sold out of country quicker than some shows.

Also, I too think this is a great move. Rupert is very popular with the HP crowd, but that hasn’t always translated to big projects or lead roles. Not saying that is exactly what Rupert wants per se, but having another fan base outside of Harry Potter will definitely increase his chances for not only more gigs, but helping sell them to larger audiences. So many news people act like Rupert isn’t doing anything because none of his projects have made a big splash because no one wants to take a risk in paying money. And I’m not putting them down here, but Dan and Emma have gotten lucky because theater chains and studios are willing to back them with the money because they “seem” more profitable. They haven’t given the same chance to Rupert through no fault of his own. But with his own lead role in a comedy series, especially if it becomes popular, he’ll have an even better chance and so will the fans!

February 14th, 2013 at 11:15 PM

@Tao: I completely agree, having the lead role in a comedy series would expand Rupert’s fanbase to include those who don’t watch HP. By the sound of it, the series seems to be targetted to a similar demographic as The Big Bang Theory, which has a huge following and from what i can gather is a mega ratings hit. If you look at TV actors like Jim Parsons, Neil Patrick Harris or Jason Segal, they have great careers outside of their TV shows. It would be interesting to see where the series will be filmed, LA or NYC or elsewhere. So that means, if the series goes ahead, Rupert will be spending alot of time US. Damn, youguys are lucky!

Many US shows are sold to countries even before they air in the US. I know that here in Australia, every year our TV channels go to the US and meet with US TV studios to buy shows. I mean, we have shows here that have been cancelled like Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue. Also, being a CBS series, it is likely that one of the three TV channels here will snap it up.

Anonymous
February 15th, 2013 at 3:01 AM

all I can say to Rupert at this stage is good luck,not only on this show ,but also everything.

Calum
February 15th, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Well, lets hope it lasts at least as long as “Raising Hope” (as far as I’m concerned 3 to 4 seasons should be the cut off point for sitcoms. Beyond that sitcoms get stale.)

Friends/Scrubs/Frasier/How I Met Your Mother all got dull past the season 4 point, in my opinion. Also, Garcia’s work tends to noticeably jump the old shark by about season 4. “My Name is Earl” suddenly went from being great to stale.

I guess, since sitcoms are based on a simple formula – even the best ones. At some point, the formula breaks under the weight of too many episodes.

Dramas, however, in my opinion, seem to have 5 season cut off.

Leila
February 15th, 2013 at 12:03 PM

damn, i wish i were in the US now :/
its true he’ll spend LOTS of times there in america… and that means lots of fan pics i guess…. my god i would love to meet him. lucky guys

Anonymous
February 15th, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Well – I have to say I am a little disappointed – I had hoped Rupert would stick to movies or perhaps a BBC or HBO type show. US network sitcoms are such an iffy proposition. I hope for Rupert’s sake it is a good quality successful show. If it is it could be great for him. Unfortunately, I dont trust network sitcoms. Hoping for the best.

February 15th, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I don’t know, Calum. Some sitcoms are still great after 3-4 seasons. The Big Bang Theory is in its sixth season and I think it’s still great :) Even though some people don’t like Sheldon’s or Leonard and Penny’s evolutions and the new plots they create.

Leila
February 15th, 2013 at 2:52 PM

i personnaly think that rupert wouldnt sign up for lots of seasons running for years, because he might be afraid or not want to be known as Clyde all his life, like he had been known for Ron because he played him for 11 years …. so maybe he doesnt want the same thing happening with this serie . who knows…

TaoTao
February 15th, 2013 at 7:17 PM

He’s never had an issue with ‘being known as Ron’, so I doubt he’d care about always being known as Clyde. :)

As for when shows should end… it really just depends. I’ve enjoyed shows well into their 5th, 6th, 7th seasons. It depends on the storyteller really. Like Buffy… for me, while I didn’t hate season 6, it wasn’t perfect, but season 7 was amazing. The same with Friends. The first 5 seasons were good. Season 6 and 7 were okay, but I like season 8. (I haven’t really watched season 9 and 10 so don’t ask me what I thought yet…) So I think it depends on the storyteller and if I know Rupert, no matter how bad the show (in this case) is, he’ll make the most of it and be what everyone is drawn to.

I also disagree about network sitcoms… some of the best sitcoms ever are from regular networks. Some of the biggest sitcoms today are on regular network stations. The Office, The Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, Two and a Half Men, etc. None of us have to actually like them for that to be a fact. These are sitcoms that are popular and well loved.

Calum
February 15th, 2013 at 7:38 PM

If he’s contracted, he’ll be in as many seasons as they want. That’s what you sign up for, I’m afraid. However, that doesn’t have to be a problem. In fact it can be a great thing if the writing stays fresh.

Leila
February 16th, 2013 at 3:47 AM

well, then i just hope he’ll be able to do other movies aswell then :S

Leila
February 16th, 2013 at 3:52 AM

oh and then, imagine there are like 9 seasons or such, then you guys are gonna have him in the US for like 9 years or so… lucky you!

Millcent
February 18th, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I think it will be so cool if is a successful and he is known for Clyder much as Ron. It’s what every actor wants I think.

Anonymous
February 23rd, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I read that they are casting the roles already for Rupert’s brother and sister. I think that they cast the brother.

Anonymous
February 26th, 2013 at 5:49 PM

eh idk Tao. Rupert hasn’t exactly made a full effort to put himself out there. He hasn’t networked as much as i’d like either. I remember the BAFTA 2011 there were reports at the after party(where the stars mingle) he pretty much stayed by himself at the bar the whole time. He even could have gone to an oscars party like bonnie did. Problem is he doesn’t really seem into doing that stuff.

Newer Comments »