Confirmed: Rupert Grint to Star in CBGB!

May 23th, 2012, 4:08pm– Another day, another role for Rupert Grint. We are still not over the excitement from the other day when we got the confirmation that Rupert would be filming The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman right now in Romania.

Now, Variety is reporting that Rupert will take part in yet another film – this time it is the film CBGB helmed by Randall Miller, who is also directing Rupert in The Drummer which will be filmed in the fall.

Variety describes the film, which is also starring Rupert’s Harry Potter co-star Alan Rickman,and even discloses which role Rupert will play in the film:

“CBGB” stars Alan Rickman as CBGB owner Hilly Kristal and the New York City club’s impact on the underground music scene, highlighting artists like the Talking Heads, the Ramones and Blondie. Grint will play Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys, who played a prominent role during the club’s rise.

We are currently awaiting confirmation on Rupert’s involvement in this project.

Update: The news has been confirmed! It is a great time to be a Rupert Grint fan. :D

Update #2: Check out this article from The Hollywood Reporter about the great cast that CBGB is gathering. It also includes new information regarding where and when the actual filming will take place:

CBGB begins shooting June 25 at Meddin Studios in Savannah, Ga., before moving on to New York City to complete filming.

33 Comments to "Confirmed: Rupert Grint to Star in CBGB!"

Maria
May 23rd, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It’s Variety so it’s for sure true. Alan and Rupert will be great!

patrick
May 23rd, 2012 at 6:00 PM

yeah, variety is basically always right, but i’ll still wait for official confirmation :) It would awesome to see alan and rupert together

TaoTao
May 23rd, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, we know Variety is a trade paper but we like to wait on Rupert’s reps. :D

I am so very excited. Three movies he’s doing. THREE. And all so very different. I’m so love the way he’s doing this… taking part in films with other stars instead of going straight for lead roles. So many actors have tried that after a successful franchise and fail. So this is a good way to go about it and also get some really great indie cred here.

May 23rd, 2012 at 6:50 PM

@Tao: I completley agree. I think that it is a mistake to just look for lead roles- these kind of roles run out quick.

I love th flurry of news about Rupert lately. I also love the very diverse roles he is taking. Rupert is going to be so busy in the next few months with one film after another.

dead-ced-dead
May 23rd, 2012 at 7:11 PM

You know, one of the common traits of a character actor is that certain filmmakers like using them over and over. Just look at the cast of most Coen Brothers movies, for example. Taking supporting roles is often a great way to get into “character actor-dom”.

Personally, I really like that he’s taking this route.

TaoTao
May 23rd, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yes! Some of the greatest actors are character actors. I think Rupert could definitely go between character acting and lead roles especially if they ever get Eddie off the ground. (No pun intended. :P) And the first thing I thought of was that the people behind The Drummer obviously really loved Rupert for what he showed them for The Drummer and wanted him to play this new role.

Trude
May 24th, 2012 at 1:30 AM

neat :-)

roswitha
May 24th, 2012 at 6:19 AM

That´s so great for him. I´m very excited about all this good news :) :)

Patricia
May 24th, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I really happy!! It will be wonderful see Rupert playing such different type of character.

francaise3
May 24th, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Awesome news!!!!!

galadriel12
May 24th, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’m thrilled. AGAIN. How often have we been here and desperately waited for news of Rupert doing another movie. He sure took his time, and it looks like that was a wise decision too. Now he obviously gets the really interesting roles in not too small movies (nothing against small movies, but I think Rupert has to do one or the other bigger once in a while). The Necessary Death … fliming, coming up CBGB and The Drummer. Squeee. :D

May 24th, 2012 at 2:52 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAY!! :D This is GREAT news!! I agree with all of you about Rupert playing ‘character’ actor roles. Seriously, I don’t even know why anyone would think that playing character actor roles is a bad thing. Do they think it’s less prestigious or what? IMHO, being the lead role is way overrated. It doesn’t mean you’re a better or a worse actor if you get to play lead roles or not. Besides, it’s kind of boring when the weight of the whole film falls on just on one person. I prefer films with more of a diversity of characters who give the film different airs :P

Picking up what Dead-Ced-Dead mentioned, I think it’s a VERY good sign that Randall Miller is recruiting Rupert again for this new project. When directors cast an actor more than once it’s because they really, really like their work. It’s great to have such a tangible proof of Rupert’s talent being recognized :) It makes me so happy for him!!

Now, about this Cheetah Chrome guy… What’s not to enjoy about seeing Rupert playing him? Come on, just look at that name, ‘Cheetah’. Rupert playing ‘Cheetah.’ I’m gonna like that :P And also… We’ll probably get to see Rupert looking like this:

Now, who isn’t eager to watch this film?? XD And do you know what I also like? The fact that Rupert is playing a *real* person, a living real person. He will have to impersonate this guy, so maybe he’ll get to consult with the real Cheetah Chrome or shadow him to get to know him really good for the role.

This feels SO good!! After such a long Rupert draught, we get confirmations for TWO films in just one month!! :D When it rains, it pours, indeed. This month of may is one I’ll always remember!! ^^

Cleu Grint
May 24th, 2012 at 5:17 PM

OMG OMG OMG! Rupert along with Alan Rickman numfilme on the CBGB Club! is simply WONDERFUL! :D

It will be good for him to play different characters, it will only shows how he is a great actor! :D

#GORUPERT!! :D

Me!
May 24th, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Is this a big movie or an indie one

TaoTao
May 24th, 2012 at 8:39 PM

It won’t be Harry Potter big, but there’s a good chance these movies will play to a larger audience then say Driving Lessons or Wild Target.

Laura gow – grint
May 25th, 2012 at 5:44 AM

OMG thats is great news
:-D :-) B-) ★ ☆ ★ ☆ :-D :-) B-)

May 25th, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I’ve noticed that Randall Miller tends to recruit actors. He likes his cast :P He worked with Alan Rickman, Bill Pullman, Eliza Dushku, Hal B. Klein and Kirk Baily both in Nobel Son and Bottle Shock. And now he’s working with Alan Rickman again :D

HugeRupeFan
May 25th, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Rupert Grint and Alan Rickman filming together again? I dont wanna wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chechula
May 25th, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Go Rupert. It seems to be an excelent year for him

May 25th, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I’m even more excited to learn that Stana Katic of Castle will be in the movie!

May 26th, 2012 at 10:35 AM

OMG, OMFG!! I CAN’T believe this!! STANA KATIC is in this project?? Stana Katic from Castle?? This can’t seriously be possible!! :D Castle is my favourite TV show!! Pretty much the only show I watch, along with Modern Family. Really, I’m a self-professed hard-core Castle fan. I suffer from severe Castle disorder and must have watched every single chapter at least a zillion time. To give you an idea, I think I’m more involved in this fandom than I ever was with the HP fandom. I’m not joking when I say that I’m completely obsessed with this show. I read fanfics EVERY SINGLE day and still I’m frustrated because I can’t read as many fanfics as I want XD I’m a Caskett shipper all the way!! :P

And of course I LOVE both Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic. I think she’s really talented. Her acting is so natural!! It just comes out her, much like in Rupert’s case. And to know that now Stana is going to work with Rupert… Somebody pinch me, because I must be dreaming :P I really feel like I’m living in a kind of alternate universe right now. It’s a pretty big thing for me. I swear, the only fansites I visit are Rupert fansites and Castle fansites, and now to have both things merge in such a way is just, WOW!! :D I’ll never forget this day!! ^^

*Sorry for my rant, lol*

May 26th, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Don’t worry BonnieRadcliffe, I am the EXACT same way. Castle is my favorite TV show and I just adore Stana. No one could portray Beckett the way she does. Oh God, and the end of Season 4? Caskett!!

And from what I’ve read from Cheetah Chrome’s biography… the person Stana would be portraying was instrumental in The Dead Boy’s career producing their first two albums. So Rupert and Stana will have scenes together! If it goes that route at least and I figure it would otherwise what’s the point of casting that role? lol

May 26th, 2012 at 12:30 PM

OMG, Tao!! You’re a fellow hard-core Castle fan and Caskett shipper?? AMAZING!! :D Are you still on cloud 9 after the season finale, like me?? :P Best season finale of any TV show EVER!! I agree with you, no one could portray Beckett like Stana :) The way she plays her, with so many layers… If you put them all together, you wouldn’t believe they are from the same person, but with Stana playing Beckett, you just get her. She makes it believable. And don’t get me started on her chemistry with Nathan. It’s like they send sparks flying when they’re together. I literally can’t wait for season 5!!

I’m so excited right now about what you told about the connection between Stana’s and Rupert’s characters!! I think you’re right, everything points that they will share some scenes together :D I can’t wait to see their interaction in interviews and all the promotional stuff. I’d love to hear what they have to say about the other :P This is a happy day indeed!! ^^

May 26th, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yes, cloud 9! I’m STILL watching that scene. Oh, someone wants to kill Beckett? Who cares, Caskett are making out right now! Hah! And yes, her and Nathan just sizzle. I mean seriously, that ending scene doesn’t work without those two being great actors AND having amazing chemistry.

And I bet Stana and Rupert will have amazing chemistry as well. They seem to be those type of actors that literally have chemistry with anyone they work with. :)

May 26th, 2012 at 2:52 PM

OMG, that scene!!! I’ve watched EVERY single video on YouTube with the kiss scene. With dialogue, with music, brighter, darker, at normal speed, in slow motion, etc.

What you say about Stana having chemistry with everybody is so true!! Actually, there is a fun quote by Nathan which reminds me a lot of your comment: ‘Stana can play chemistry with a wet paper bag … I’ll be playing the wet paper bag’ Lol, Nathan!! XD

May 26th, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Hah! I remember that quote. And she really does. Like that guy from The Limey episode? I can’t think of his name off hand, but tons of chemistry. Even with Dr. Motorcycle Boy there was a ton of chemistry. She’s just that type of actress. I cannot wait to see her and Rupert in scenes together… they’re just going to be so fun to watch. Between the chemistry they’ll undoubtedly have and all the facial expressions they can make at each other? It’ll be amazing! :)

My secret wish is for Rupert to guest on Castle and Stana, Nathan and Rupert can just have facial expression wars and it’d be the best episode ever.

galadriel12
May 27th, 2012 at 6:01 AM

LOL. I’m just glad I am not a hardcore Castle fan/shipper. Otherwise you guys, Tao and Bonnie, would have runined it for me, because in Germany we are not yet at season 4. :P

But this project sounds more and more like something really, really good. :D

May 27th, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Lol, sorry for being so spoilerish!! XD We are not at season 4 in my country yet either, Galadriel, but I’ve downloaded all the S4 episodes and watched them in my laptop :D Yes, I am THAT hardcore XD

That just amazes me about Stana, she can create chemistry with just about anybody: the limey, Sorenson, Demming, Dr Motorcycle Boy, etc. And of course, with Castle :D But she can also create ‘friends’ chemistry with Ryan and Esposito, older sister chemistry with Alexis (I’m thinking about the episode where Alexis asked her for advice on studying abroad), chemistry with Martha, chemistry with Roy, and so on. She can make so believable any interaction she has with anybody. She molds like that to her castmates. I really can’t wait to see her and Rupert in action!! :P

OMG, Rupert guest-starring in Castle would be so cool!! I’d give anything to see Rupert working with Nathan. My two favourite guys together!! <3 That would just kill me.

galadriel12
May 28th, 2012 at 1:29 PM

For me it’s Criminal Minds. Rupert guest starring in Criminal Minds. Now, that would be MYdream. :D

May 29th, 2012 at 2:06 AM

@galadriel12: I agree. Rupert and Spencer Reid would be bloody brilliant!

May 29th, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Or in Modern Family. I’d also like to see him there :P I really enjoyed seeing Edward Norton, James Marsden and Minnie Driver in MF :D Rupert would rock in that show ^^

Zee
May 29th, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Rupert in criminal minds would be epic. I can’t wait for all of this stuff to come out, it’d be brilliant if he done another accent – he’s so good at them.

May 30th, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Haha Sorry about the late response… Memorial day and a long day of work today. Any way, I agree about Stana and her ability to have all kinds of chemistry. I feel Rupert is the same way. It still blows my mind how he and Emma grew up on set, had that instant friendship chemistry, but still managed to have such an amazing romantic spark when it counted.

And I would LOVE for Rupert to guest on Criminal Minds as well. Castle and Criminal Minds has always been on the top of my list. CM for a very disturbing serial killer part and Castle just for the fun of it all… and Stana, Nathan and Rupert can have facial expression wars. :P

Oh, and sorry about the spoilage. I forget sometimes that other countries get the seasons so late. And I should know this considering I see it tweeted all the time about when a season will start for another country. :)

Newer Comments »