Confirmed: Rupert Grint to Star in CBGB!

Confirmed: Rupert Grint to Star in CBGB!May 23th, 2012, 4:08pm– Another day, another role for Rupert Grint. We are still not over the excitement from the other day when we got the confirmation that Rupert would be filming The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman right now in Romania.

Now, Variety is reporting that Rupert will take part in yet another film – this time it is the film CBGB helmed by Randall Miller, who is also directing Rupert in The Drummer which will be filmed in the fall.

Variety describes the film, which is also starring Rupert’s Harry Potter co-star Alan Rickman,and even discloses which role Rupert will play in the film:

“CBGB” stars Alan Rickman as CBGB owner Hilly Kristal and the New York City club’s impact on the underground music scene, highlighting artists like the Talking Heads, the Ramones and Blondie. Grint will play Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys, who played a prominent role during the club’s rise.

We are currently awaiting confirmation on Rupert’s involvement in this project.

Update: The news has been confirmed! It is a great time to be a Rupert Grint fan. πŸ˜€

Update #2: Check out this article from The Hollywood Reporter about the great cast that CBGB is gathering. It also includes new information regarding where and when the actual filming will take place:

CBGB begins shooting June 25 at Meddin Studios in Savannah, Ga., before moving on to New York City to complete filming.

33 Comments to "Confirmed: Rupert Grint to Star in CBGB!"

Maria
May 23rd, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It’s Variety so it’s for sure true. Alan and Rupert will be great!

patrick
May 23rd, 2012 at 6:00 PM

yeah, variety is basically always right, but i’ll still wait for official confirmation :) It would awesome to see alan and rupert together

TaoTao
May 23rd, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, we know Variety is a trade paper but we like to wait on Rupert’s reps. πŸ˜€

I am so very excited. Three movies he’s doing. THREE. And all so very different. I’m so love the way he’s doing this… taking part in films with other stars instead of going straight for lead roles. So many actors have tried that after a successful franchise and fail. So this is a good way to go about it and also get some really great indie cred here.

May 23rd, 2012 at 6:50 PM

@Tao: I completley agree. I think that it is a mistake to just look for lead roles- these kind of roles run out quick.

I love th flurry of news about Rupert lately. I also love the very diverse roles he is taking. Rupert is going to be so busy in the next few months with one film after another.

dead-ced-dead
May 23rd, 2012 at 7:11 PM

You know, one of the common traits of a character actor is that certain filmmakers like using them over and over. Just look at the cast of most Coen Brothers movies, for example. Taking supporting roles is often a great way to get into “character actor-dom”.

Personally, I really like that he’s taking this route.

TaoTao
May 23rd, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yes! Some of the greatest actors are character actors. I think Rupert could definitely go between character acting and lead roles especially if they ever get Eddie off the ground. (No pun intended. :P) And the first thing I thought of was that the people behind The Drummer obviously really loved Rupert for what he showed them for The Drummer and wanted him to play this new role.

Trude
May 24th, 2012 at 1:30 AM

neat :-)

roswitha
May 24th, 2012 at 6:19 AM

ThatΒ΄s so great for him. IΒ΄m very excited about all this good news :) :)

Patricia
May 24th, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I really happy!! It will be wonderful see Rupert playing such different type of character.

francaise3
May 24th, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Awesome news!!!!!

galadriel12
May 24th, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I’m thrilled. AGAIN. How often have we been here and desperately waited for news of Rupert doing another movie. He sure took his time, and it looks like that was a wise decision too. Now he obviously gets the really interesting roles in not too small movies (nothing against small movies, but I think Rupert has to do one or the other bigger once in a while). The Necessary Death … fliming, coming up CBGB and The Drummer. Squeee. πŸ˜€

May 24th, 2012 at 2:52 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAY!! πŸ˜€ This is GREAT news!! I agree with all of you about Rupert playing ‘character’ actor roles. Seriously, I don’t even know why anyone would think that playing character actor roles is a bad thing. Do they think it’s less prestigious or what? IMHO, being the lead role is way overrated. It doesn’t mean you’re a better or a worse actor if you get to play lead roles or not. Besides, it’s kind of boring when the weight of the whole film falls on just on one person. I prefer films with more of a diversity of characters who give the film different airs πŸ˜›

Picking up what Dead-Ced-Dead mentioned, I think it’s a VERY good sign that Randall Miller is recruiting Rupert again for this new project. When directors cast an actor more than once it’s because they really, really like their work. It’s great to have such a tangible proof of Rupert’s talent being recognized :) It makes me so happy for him!!

Now, about this Cheetah Chrome guy… What’s not to enjoy about seeing Rupert playing him? Come on, just look at that name, ‘Cheetah’. Rupert playing ‘Cheetah.’ I’m gonna like that πŸ˜› And also… We’ll probably get to see Rupert looking like this:

Now, who isn’t eager to watch this film?? XD And do you know what I also like? The fact that Rupert is playing a *real* person, a living real person. He will have to impersonate this guy, so maybe he’ll get to consult with the real Cheetah Chrome or shadow him to get to know him really good for the role.

This feels SO good!! After such a long Rupert draught, we get confirmations for TWO films in just one month!! πŸ˜€ When it rains, it pours, indeed. This month of may is one I’ll always remember!! ^^

Cleu Grint
May 24th, 2012 at 5:17 PM

OMG OMG OMG! Rupert along with Alan Rickman numfilme on the CBGB Club! is simply WONDERFUL! πŸ˜€

It will be good for him to play different characters, it will only shows how he is a great actor! πŸ˜€

#GORUPERT!! πŸ˜€

Me!
May 24th, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Is this a big movie or an indie one

TaoTao
May 24th, 2012 at 8:39 PM

It won’t be Harry Potter big, but there’s a good chance these movies will play to a larger audience then say Driving Lessons or Wild Target.

Laura gow – grint
May 25th, 2012 at 5:44 AM

OMG thats is great news
πŸ˜€ :-) B-) β˜… β˜† β˜… β˜† πŸ˜€ :-) B-)

May 25th, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I’ve noticed that Randall Miller tends to recruit actors. He likes his cast πŸ˜› He worked with Alan Rickman, Bill Pullman, Eliza Dushku, Hal B. Klein and Kirk Baily both in Nobel Son and Bottle Shock. And now he’s working with Alan Rickman again πŸ˜€

HugeRupeFan
May 25th, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Rupert Grint and Alan Rickman filming together again? I dont wanna wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chechula
May 25th, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Go Rupert. It seems to be an excelent year for him

May 25th, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I’m even more excited to learn that Stana Katic of Castle will be in the movie!

Newer Comments »