Rupert Grint Joins Cast of “The Drummer”!

Rupert Grint Joins Cast of “The Drummer!”March 14th, 2012, 6:07pm–Variety and The Hollywood Reporter along with many major outlets are reporting that Rupert Grint has joined the cast of “The Drummer” along with Chloe Grace Moretz and Aaron Eckhart. The movie is a biopic based on The Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson. Rupert will be playing Stan Shapiro, a mail room intern at William Morris, who befriended Wilson during the last few years of the musician’s life.

This film is to be a major film role for Rupert and his first major film role since Harry Potter. We are inquiring with his reps right now and filming is to start in June. We will keep you updated on any new developments that come with this project. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: First, we have official word from Rupert’s reps that this film is indeed Rupert’s next project. Secondly Hollywood.com has a quote from Randall Miller on Rupert’s role and casting: “And Miller has high hopes for Grint as Shapiro: “Rupert’s character is the window into Dennis’ world. He is the everyman who witnesses the train wreck. Rupert is going to nail it.” Thanks Masha!

UPDATE #2: Another quote from screenwriter Jody Savin: “He is a brilliant young actor whose range exceeds his already stunning body of work,” from On The Red Carpet.

33 Comments to "Rupert Grint Joins Cast of “The Drummer”!"

brittany
March 15th, 2012 at 11:36 AM

i love rupert in indie movies, but i am glad that he’s doing a hollywood movie so people all over can see that he can really act. i’m also happy he’s doing an hollywood movie so now i won’t have to wait forever until i see it. and let’s be honest there will always be people out there who are going to compare the trio’s work. but i do think it was a smart choice on emma/dan part to do american films/shows to show people all over how serious they are about acting. but rupert skills are so great he didn’t have to do that right away. :)

nomi
March 15th, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I bet he has a lot of offers because of his association with HP if nothing else. Now he has a chance to be seen for more than “one of the Potter kids”. I see Tom Felton just got cast in a new major film. His career is one to watch as well, although he’s not nearly as interesting to me as Rupert. Rupert working an American accent should be fun!

galadriel12
March 15th, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I’m beyond thrilled. And while Gunner Smith is a big role in a not so small movie, Into the White isn’t a major movie. It might develop into a suprise worldwide hit – it certainly has the chance to – but “The Drummer” is a Hollywood project.. It’s not a blockbuster maybe, but a movie that will naturally get a wider distribution from the start, IMO. And the role sounds good too. Another chance for Rupert to show his variety and to hone his skills. I have to say though that I don’t know any of the other actors except Aaron Eckart.

TaoTao
March 15th, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I’m also glad he’s taking this step because I always felt he might have stuck to indies because of those long Harry Potter shoots. He’s mentioned it before. Taking a role like this he’ll see that major Hollywood films without all the special effects and such won’t take as long as Harry Potter. It’s also a chance for him to really shine now. While Wild Target gave him that chance with actors such as Emily Blunt and Bill Nighy being so well known, it was a comedic role. This sounds like a very serious role and I just love the quotes from the director and screenwriter. :)

RupertFan
March 15th, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Such great News. You go Rupert :)

patrick
March 15th, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Tao, I agree. and living in the US , it is nice to see him do a film here. It’s all about trying new things and gaining experience. And to finally see a rupert movie in the theaters here maybe? lol

love the quotes from director and screenwriter. I wonder if the role was offered or he auditioned

Herschel
March 15th, 2012 at 10:30 PM

This sounds like an interesting/different role and I agree we have better chances of seeing this movie.
Just an opinion – Maybe Rupert was the last one to bag a hollywood movie role because let’s face it, he was treated as the third wheel – dan is the lead, em is the only girl and rupert have to compete with dan. And as much as HP opened the door for Rupert to be an actor, he did not have much to work with in his role as Ron. The director and scriptwriter have their favorite (of course its not Rupert) and it shows in the movie. So its good tha inspite of it there are still people who don’t overlook him.
I just realized that chloe was the girl photographed with rupert back in 2010 during the empire awards, well that’s some reunion

jesi
March 16th, 2012 at 1:05 AM

really, no pressure.. he’s taking it slow just like he should. Rupert doesn’t need to compete with anyone, he doesn’t need to. there’s no reason for him to be desperate about his career. no rush.

I’m just happy knowing he’s going to be in L.A. this June, and I’m glad that I don’t have to miss him so much coz this confirms I’ll be seeing a lot of him continuously this year and onwards :)

March 16th, 2012 at 3:26 PM

OH MY OH MY OH MY!! And he will work with Chloe Moretz!! I love that girl!! 😀 This is amazing news!! I feel like squealing with joy!! YAAAAAAAAAAY!! 😀

March 16th, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Totally random, but I’ve just read on IMDB that the director of this film is the cousin of Rhea Pearlman, Danny DeVito’s wife 😀

HugeRupeFan
March 16th, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Whether high or low profile film, I think all of us Rupert Grint fans will watch all of his movies……Cant wait for this one!

Roswitha
March 16th, 2012 at 6:27 PM

OMG That`s great news. I´m so excited to read about this new film :)

Chechula
March 17th, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Great news. He´s always been the best of the trio. Good for him. GO RUP!

« Older Comments