Rupert Grint Joins Cast of “The Drummer”!

Rupert Grint Joins Cast of “The Drummer!”March 14th, 2012, 6:07pm–Variety and The Hollywood Reporter along with many major outlets are reporting that Rupert Grint has joined the cast of “The Drummer” along with Chloe Grace Moretz and Aaron Eckhart. The movie is a biopic based on The Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson. Rupert will be playing Stan Shapiro, a mail room intern at William Morris, who befriended Wilson during the last few years of the musician’s life.

This film is to be a major film role for Rupert and his first major film role since Harry Potter. We are inquiring with his reps right now and filming is to start in June. We will keep you updated on any new developments that come with this project. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: First, we have official word from Rupert’s reps that this film is indeed Rupert’s next project. Secondly Hollywood.com has a quote from Randall Miller on Rupert’s role and casting: “And Miller has high hopes for Grint as Shapiro: “Rupert’s character is the window into Dennis’ world. He is the everyman who witnesses the train wreck. Rupert is going to nail it.” Thanks Masha!

UPDATE #2: Another quote from screenwriter Jody Savin: “He is a brilliant young actor whose range exceeds his already stunning body of work,” from On The Red Carpet.

33 Comments to "Rupert Grint Joins Cast of “The Drummer”!"

March 14th, 2012 at 6:25 PM

SO EXCITED!

dead-ced-dead
March 14th, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I must admit, for a while, I was really worried that Grint would turn into the “Ringo Starr” of the HP trio. Where as Emma found three or four really high profile gigs for next year (one with Sofia Coppola – very excited about that), Dan was in a Tony award nominated play and the highest grossing UK horror movie for some time. I was thinking, damn it, when will Rupert get a sweet gig.

So it’s nice to see time has finally caught up with him.

March 14th, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I think Rupert is being more careful about his selections. I’m glad he’s taking the time to do that. For this movie to have some big names attached to it, I’d say it’s a good choice.

Anonymous
March 14th, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I do understand the “comparison” but being a high record seller *yes he out sold even Paul at one time) and sold out concerts of which I did attend one of them. Ringo is far from a “faded” musican. Of course he’s 70 now soooo the slow down was inevitable. Jeez this is why I’m “fading” away from fandom.

March 14th, 2012 at 6:47 PM

So cool! *excited*

Masha
March 14th, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I’m so happy at the moment! I really don’t need much – just Rupert getting new roles :))

the cast is awesome! it’ll be great to see Rupert and Chloe in one film!

dead-ced-dead
March 14th, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Me too, I’m very excited about this. Partly because I adore The Beach Boys.

dead-ced-dead
March 14th, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I didn’t mean that Ringo Starr is untalented or anything. I’m just going on the assumption that while John/Paul/George were all talented writers, whose songs are ranked top 100 albums/song lists. While Ringo often was regarded as un-serious because he often had songs written for him.

I don’t agree with the assessment necessarily, but it’s often regarded that way.

Masha
March 14th, 2012 at 7:01 PM

“…And Miller has high hopes for Grint as Shapiro: “Rupert’s character is the window into Dennis’ world. He is the everyman who witnesses the train wreck. Rupert is going to nail it.”

March 14th, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Thanks Masha. I didn’t see you put it here, but I saw your comment on twitter and added it. 🙂

Anon
March 14th, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Sooooo excited!!!! Squeeeeee!!!!

Patricia
March 14th, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Great news!

Maura
March 14th, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’ve always thought Rupert’s future was in indie films. I think he’s unique and unconventional and a better fit for small films. So yay! Good for him!

March 14th, 2012 at 9:34 PM

This sounds like a good project and the cast is fantastic, Aaron Eckhardt, Vera Farminga and Chole Moretz are all such good actors. This is so exciting!

Rupert did say that he wanted to take some considerable time off after HP and that he would be very careful in choosing roles. I’m not surprised that he has taken this long for a new project. And it’s not like Rupert has done nothing over the past year either.

I completely disagree with comparing careers with Dan or Emma. It has no affect on Rupert’s career. And each are their own person and will inevitably take different paths. Who knows what will happen next? Maybe this new role will lead to others for Rupert. Or maybe Rupert has other offers but cannot announce just yet.

Patricia
March 14th, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I really like the fact that Rupert is working with great cast /director , it doesn’t mind if it’s a big or an indie film. He can do the best in any case, I’m sure.

mari
March 14th, 2012 at 9:52 PM

YEEEEEEEEY *0* I was hopping for that !!finally a big movie!can’t wait to see it!!sounds great!!—i hope that this one will come to brazil!i need to see him >.<

aenna
March 14th, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Good news! Rupert’s role does not sound to be another comedic role so that’s much much better
I agree though comparing careers is not good and I think being successful is not measured by the number of movies one makes but more of how you performed in those movies. Some of Rupert’s movie outside HP may have mixed reviews and one/two did not do well in the box office but his acting was consistently praised.

March 15th, 2012 at 1:38 AM

@ Aenna: I agree, there are some very prolific actors but most of their movies are not that great.. Quality over quantity, I guess.

I think this role is very different from any of Rupert’s previous roles and working with such great actors would only benefit Rupert.

Me!
March 15th, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Wow so happy this Rupert second big chance to become a part of Hollywood not only for hp but this will lead to new big projects for all countries

nightowl
March 15th, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Do I understand the word ‘major’ wrong? I always thought Rupert’s first major film role since HP is gunner Smith!
And yes, I fully agree with Tao: Rupert obviously takes his time to sort out the movies and the characters, he wants to play and not just take any fame-raising role he gets offered.

Newer Comments »