Rupert Grint Speaks To The Sunday Times!

November 5th, 2010, 11:07pm–Halloween may be over, but the treats keep on coming! In a revealing new interview for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 in the Sunday Times, Rupert Grint talks Julie Walters, Alan Rickman, Ron’s dark turn, the Ron and Hermione kiss and even fame. Plus we get two new photos of Rupert that are very different from what we’ve seen before. A little dark, brooding, moody and intense. You can view them here. And you can read the interview here though I think you need a subscription to do so, so thanks to SnitchSeeker for the quotes. If anyone can share more or if there is a scan out there, please send it over!

On Alan and Julie:

“Alan Rickman [who plays the menacing Severus Snape] fascinates me,” says Grint. “He always seems to be in character. He’s really quite intimidating with that air about him. Actually, he’s nice to talk to, but he’s got this presence that makes you feel like he’s unapproachable.” Julie Walters is one of his favourites. “I’m quite close to her. She’s warm. She really is like my mum, and she’s seen us grow up.”

On Ron’s dark turn:

“My part really improves,” says Grint. “It’s more complicated. Ron has a total freak-out, and gets jealous and angry. There’s a lot of paranoia and grief, and he falls in love. It’s quite a big moment for him.”

On the kiss:

The final book and this film also include the first kiss between Ron and Hermione, a relief for frustrated viewers. Rowling hinted at an attraction between the two for a long time, and there were petty jealousies and near misses. “The kiss happened quite naturally, and in the second part of Deathly Hallows they’re really quite couply, holding hands a lot. It wasn’t like it came from nowhere. It was quite a tricky kiss, a bit strange, but quite sweet really. It was just one shot, but we had about six takes. It was all right, yeah. Easy after the first take,” says Grint, then adds, “I’ve almost no memory of it at all.”

On fame:

Grint often gets followed down the street or accosted in bars. When he goes with his mates to rock festivals, he has been known to wear a duck mask, just so he can walk around freely.

“You develop an instinct for it. You can hear people saying your name, feel their stares. But it depends where you are. Here in Britain, people are a lot more reserved. In America it’s kind of crazy: louder, a few screams, and they want me to sign stuff – them. I once signed a tattoo of me, Dan and Emma on a guy’s arm. He was quite an old guy, 40, freaky, quite weird. It wasn’t a great tattoo either. I looked a bit like Anne Robinson.”

On the end:

“It felt like the last day at school,” says Grint. “Packing up all the stuff in my dressing room, all the old toys still there from when I was 11… I’d underestimated how emotional it would be. We all cried.”

On being casted:

“I suppose when they selected us as kids, they weren’t expecting us to act that much. They didn’t really want kids from drama school. I always felt quite a strong connection to Ron. I don’t know if it was just a ginger thing though,” he says, laughing. His hair is actually less carroty in real life: “Yes, the sun calms it down a little bit.” As for the Rupert-Ron intermingling, he says: “Possibly I’ve taken on some of his characteristics and we have merged into the same kind of person.”

And a lovely quote from Julie Walters!

“When he first started he was really cute and really shy,” recalls Julie Walters, who has played Grint’s screen mum Molly Weasley from the start. “My abiding memory of him is at the first premiere and Grant, my husband, and I looked at Rupert and there was a beautiful little moon face, and he looked like a rabbit caught in the flashbulbs. He was such a sweetheart you wanted to cuddle him.”

UPDATE: Thanks to Manda1 we have the entire Times article online for you here!

23 Comments to "Rupert Grint Speaks To The Sunday Times!"

TaoTao
November 5th, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Definitely one of his best interviews yet! And LOVE the photoshoot. Wow! He’s full of surprises. :)

Fred
November 6th, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Great interview, very informative. He’s been incredibly busy lately ( hello captain obvious lol) with all the interviews and photo shoots. We’ve been very spoiled lately,not that i’m complaining or anything. It’s a great time to be a Rupert Grint fan, he’s finally getting the respect he’s deserved for a long long time. Love it, keep up the great work Rupe

fleur
November 6th, 2010 at 2:50 AM

great interview but, guys, did you see what he said about the american fanclub’s gift every year? i mean, apparently he was rolling his eyes i dunno, if he really did that.. but thats a bit upsetting if he really thinks that :(

November 6th, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Groooooaaaaaaaaaarrrrr!! He loooks smexy in those pics!! :D

November 6th, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Come on, Rupert, you know Ron fell in love before book seven :D He just only got a clue then XD

dead-ced-dead
November 6th, 2010 at 3:26 AM

You have to pay a subscription (in the UK at least) for the times. So if anyone gets their hands on the actual article, some scans would be appreciated.

mia
November 6th, 2010 at 7:00 AM

like the hooded pic

mia
November 6th, 2010 at 7:02 AM

the other one reminds me of one from Fault
maybe it’s the down ward look and the flippy little hair
kinda like his hair this way

TaoTao
November 6th, 2010 at 9:43 AM

C’mon Fleur, do you honestly believe Rupert would do that? I don’t. You can’t believe everything you read. *sigh*

November 6th, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Even in a picture of half-Rupert he’s sexy!! :D Oh, this man is going to be the death of me some day!!

Fleur
November 6th, 2010 at 12:57 PM

No i said that IF he said that it was upsetting, but i think it was taken out of its context…..dont think he said it, but i said only IF he said that…
Sorry for misunderstanding …

Fleur
November 6th, 2010 at 1:14 PM

And yeah BonnieRadcliffe, even a half rupert, is really gorgeous

Linda
November 6th, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Wonderful pictures and article!! :) He said 40 is old. :( Going to now cry into my 41st birthday cake!!

Fleur
November 6th, 2010 at 1:29 PM

aww dont worry Linda, you know, i think Rupert said that, but he didnt mean to , i think 40 is not old at all, my mum is in her 50’s to me, she is not old at all, its true….
But i feel maybe a bit bad for the guy he’s talking about (with his tatoo) … if that guy reads that… :o lol
but rup ‘s still so hot no matter what he says … or does…..

galadriel12
November 6th, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Well, let’s face it people: 40 IS old LOL. I’m allowed to say that, I am 40+ myself. And didn’t Rupert once have this brown t-shirt with “I love old people” written on it? :D

Anyway, he did mention the gift from the “American fan club” but I have a hard time believing he’d roll his eyes at that. Even if he really didn’t like it, he wouldn’t let that out. He’s a professional and he’s humble and always appreciates his fans. So, who knows, maybe he acted a bit embarrassed and the interviewer misread that for eye-rolling. We’ll never find out.

Linda
November 6th, 2010 at 1:52 PM

40 is old especially to a 22 yr old. :) I still pretend it’s not, and I get told I look 30 – I don’t, but I like to pretend those people are right ;) I’m really loving these new pictures of him. Makes an old woman have hot flashes, doesn’t it?

Amu
November 6th, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I wouldn’t worry about the bit about him rolling eyes at a fan gift because I know for a fact that he isn’t like that and that he very much appreciates our gifts to him. :-)

I wish RON character about voicing out opinions has got into Rupert because he is always so accepting of everyone even the people picking on him. So thats one trait tof RON’s that I would love to see Rupert have.

TaoTao
November 6th, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, I think the journalist exaggerated. I can’t believe Rupert would roll his eyes… the most I see as him being like, “Wow! Can’t believe it” and the “writer” exaggerated what he was saying/doing.

Linda, I agree. LOL I remember way back when they were casting Goblet of Fire and I think it was RPatz was like 20 or 21… and all these young girls – like 14, 15 years old were all, “OMG HE’S SO OLD!” and of course I’m like “OMG. I’m 25… I must be ancient to these people.” At 30, it’s like 60 is old. And I’m sure at 40, 70 would be old, and so on and so forth… so at 22 I’m thinking 40 is old. haha

talley
November 6th, 2010 at 3:01 PM

LOL His parents are in their early 40’s so yeah, he’d think it old. Plus it’s just talk. People refer to those who are older as old esp. young kids. We had a coworker who had a picture o her with her young son, 7, and her students asked her if that picture was of her with her grandkid. lol

I’m loving these new looks. There is not one I’m not gobbling up.

November 6th, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Wow, I didn’t know his parents were that young! :o So they started the family really soon? It’s cool to have parents younger than average :D

TaoTao
November 6th, 2010 at 3:41 PM

They were probably early 20s… My parents were in their early to mid 40s by the time my brother, who was 4 years older than me, was Rupert’s age. And since Rupert’s the eldest, it makes sense. My mom was 20 when she had my brother, so she was 42 when he turned 22. hehe (My dad would have been 45 when my brother was 22.)

Linda
November 7th, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I’m not surprised. I knew I was old enough to be his mom (eeep!) so it makes sense that his parent would be around my age. Makes me feel like a pervert!!!

Darlene
November 8th, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Hey everybody!!

It’s me, Dar. It’s been quite a long time since I’ve commented on here but I figured I would do a comment tonight. I know a few people on here but some I don’t.

Anyway, was looking at the latest stuff on here on Rupert and he’s looking very handsome and doing quite well for himself. Love the pics.

Tao, feels kinda good being back on here. Sorry I’ve been away for so long.

« Older Comments