Rupert Grint Talks Cherrybomb!

icon111

January 28, 2009, 3:03 AM–Earlier this month Rupert Grint along with cast and crew of Cherrybomb took part in an extensive and in depth interview in which they answered many questions about their work and involvement with the movie. We have fortunately been given the opportunity to share with you this exclusive interview with Rupert Grint in which he answers many questions to the press about his character and how he came aboard such an amazing project.

Coming from the Harry Potter franchise to a low budget film is nothing new to Rupert Grint as he’s already tackled the coming of age feel-good movie of 2006, Driving Lessons which he completed in a mere six weeks! So when asked what it was like shooting Cherrybomb compared to Harry Potter his answer came up quite similar:
“I really enjoy it because it’s a totally different world; everything is so much smaller,” he notes. “I think we get a bit spoiled on Harry Potter because we have fancy dressing rooms and all. But there is actually a lot more waiting around (on Harry Potter) so I prefer the pace of films like Cherrybomb. On this you do like seven scenes a day and they’re really quick days and it’s exciting – it’s good fun!”

During the interview Glenn Leyburn explains that they were looking for young actors who could bring real subtlety, intelligence, humour and truth to the characters, so how did Rupert get the part?
“Yeah, it just came to me and I really loved the script.” says Rupert. I met Lisa in London and did a little screen test. And then I flew out to Belfast and did some rehearsals.”

As we know, Rupert’s character Malachy will have a distinct Belfast accent. So how did he feel about that? “Worried!” he admits. “Because it’s such a strange sound and a real change but we had a dialect coach — Brendan Gunn — who made a CD and he put all our lines into it so I was always listening to them on my iPod. Hammering it in.” And let’s not forget Kat Kirk who plays Sharon in Cherrybomb. She says she thought he did pretty good!

So let’s find out a little more about Rupert and how he personally identifies with his character. We know he was wanted for the role but would he have chosen such a character to portray? “Yeah, I do like Malachy.“ Rupert says. I saw quite a few similarities in him in me – so he was fun to play. And I liked the fact he takes a back seat and looks up to Luke as he always gets the girls.” Malachy has a totally different background to Luke too. “That was important. Malachy has a home life which is good; a nice family and he does well at school. They are opposites in that sense.”

And what about working with two directors? Rupert has many years under his belt of working with famous Harry Potter directors. How did this differ? Rupert notes, “It’s a different dynamic – a different way of working – because you’ve got two people to talk to. And they were very clear. We had this week of rehearsals and we went through the whole script and really got into the detail of it. And I think the edgy look to Luke and Malachy is down to Lisa and Glen. It took a while to get used to the quiff, and my dyed eyebrows and eyelashes!”

What was the most difficult scene to shoot he’s asked. Rupert does not hesitate: the swimming pool scene! “Yeah, that a long day!“ he says. “Me and Rob had to do this big fight scene and wrestle each other into the pool and it got quite out of hand because we’re fighting and scratching it did get pretty violent. Plus we did so many takes and in that pool it got really cold. So it was probably the hardest day I’ve ever done.”

We know Rupert has done a couple of other movies as well as Harry Potter but this is his most adult plot – so how do he feel about that? “It is the most adult thing I’ve done and there are some risky things going on – the drug taking and there’s a bit of romance – so yeah it’s different; it’s good, it’s cool.” And when asked if he is worried about the thought of his parents seeing him in that kind of role Rupert says, “There’s a scene that’s going to be hard to watch with my nan and my family (laughs) but I think it’ll be okay. It’s pretty tastefully done.”

This is an ensemble cast — the three leads and the two dads — and Rupert confirms that they all work closely together throughout the movie. “Yeah, definitely and on top of that each character’s got their own story and arc and change. Some of us grow up quite a lot throughout the film.” Finally, speaking of the message sent by Cherrybomb, Rupert said: “It does deal with modern issues, like drugs and it is a coming-of-age story – especially for my character, because I grow out of that lifestyle and realize there’s more to life than messing about.”

40 Comments to "Rupert Grint Talks Cherrybomb!"

KC
January 28th, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I’m not gonna freak out, I’m not gonna freak out… 😀

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Hey guys I’m taking part in that Matt Lewis interview on Sunday! Woo hoo! Harry (the Castlewhitefang founder) has promised that we’ll have the full transcript as soon as the interview is done. 🙂

Bilius
January 28th, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Score! Ivana, are you sure you don’t want a degree in Communications/Journalism? The Music industry is SO over-rated.
😉

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I do Bilius! But it’s too late for a career change now… Although I do write and publish a lot… but mostly scholarly stuff. You know, essays on classical music, book reviews and such.
*nerd*

Laura
January 28th, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I still adore the amount he talked but in a way that you still know it’s him.

brittany
January 28th, 2009 at 1:18 PM

thats cool, i hope the pool fight scene is like the one on the movie pride, but 10 times grttier.

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Well Rupert does talk a lot… when he’s asked the right questions.
Top 5 questions to avoid:
– What do you and Ron have in common?
– Is the new HP movie going to be darker than the previous ones?
– Have you seen Dan in Equus?
– Are you excited about snogging Emma Watson in Deathly Hallows?
– Are you a natural redhead?

suzeeq
January 28th, 2009 at 1:27 PM

LMAO Ivana. So true, so true.

Jo
January 28th, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Ugh if those questions make me cringe then I can’t imagine how Rupert feels lol. I would never ask those questions, ever! Well the red head one I would ask but I would ask it in a different way. ma haha.

Bilius
January 28th, 2009 at 2:14 PM

You forgot:
– What was it like working with a new (HP) director?
– If you were a real wizard, what would you like best?
– Will you be sad when it’s all over (HP)?
– How did you get the part of Ron?
blah, blah, blah, etc..

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Oh yeah. And finally:
“Have you ever met Daniel Radcliffe?” 😛
Honestly I can’t believe that people have actually asked him that!

wicked jo
January 28th, 2009 at 2:38 PM

^So true Ivana! who the heck is so stupid to ask him that???

Jo
January 28th, 2009 at 2:47 PM

OH God and at Tribeca they were asking about Ron and I wanted to pull out a can of whip ass! Paleeeeeze mine and AJ’s questions were the best!

mollywobbles
January 28th, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Someone actually asked him if he’d ever met Dan? What the heck? Please tell me this was a small child?

Jo
January 28th, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Yeah they did, Rupert was the one who said it lol.

Hplover
January 28th, 2009 at 4:48 PM

OMG! rupert! dont u love his name….ok akward… so can you believe how much rupert gritn has grown i mean from harry potter sorta kid teenage movies to teen mature movies i mean wow…..

Hplover
January 28th, 2009 at 4:53 PM

OH by the way who ever asked rupert grint HAVE YOU MET DANIEL RADCLIFFE? is the about the stupidest thing i ever heard in my life..NO offence it’s just thAT HE DOES HARRY POTTER MOVIES WITH DANIEL I MEAN REALLY people………ok im done and i agree with Ivana i mean siriously only a person who has no idea who rupert grint was would say that!!!!

Hplover
January 28th, 2009 at 4:54 PM

OR is imean

Jo
January 28th, 2009 at 5:25 PM

HI Hplover, glad you agree yeah those questions have been asked to him. It boggles me too!

Veronica
January 28th, 2009 at 7:16 PM

This fight scene really is gonna be so hot,just like you guys already said! hahahha
God,i really loved that interview,really seems like Rup talked more than he is used to…But with his traditional “Yeah” that i just love! LOL

Thanks for this interview,as the days go by,i just get more and more excited! Thanks you guys for making this possible with so many news and exclusives! ;D

« Older Comments