Rupert Grint Talks Cherrybomb!

icon111

January 28, 2009, 3:03 AM–Earlier this month Rupert Grint along with cast and crew of Cherrybomb took part in an extensive and in depth interview in which they answered many questions about their work and involvement with the movie. We have fortunately been given the opportunity to share with you this exclusive interview with Rupert Grint in which he answers many questions to the press about his character and how he came aboard such an amazing project.

Coming from the Harry Potter franchise to a low budget film is nothing new to Rupert Grint as he’s already tackled the coming of age feel-good movie of 2006, Driving Lessons which he completed in a mere six weeks! So when asked what it was like shooting Cherrybomb compared to Harry Potter his answer came up quite similar:
“I really enjoy it because it’s a totally different world; everything is so much smaller,” he notes. “I think we get a bit spoiled on Harry Potter because we have fancy dressing rooms and all. But there is actually a lot more waiting around (on Harry Potter) so I prefer the pace of films like Cherrybomb. On this you do like seven scenes a day and they’re really quick days and it’s exciting – it’s good fun!”

During the interview Glenn Leyburn explains that they were looking for young actors who could bring real subtlety, intelligence, humour and truth to the characters, so how did Rupert get the part?
“Yeah, it just came to me and I really loved the script.” says Rupert. I met Lisa in London and did a little screen test. And then I flew out to Belfast and did some rehearsals.”

As we know, Rupert’s character Malachy will have a distinct Belfast accent. So how did he feel about that? “Worried!” he admits. “Because it’s such a strange sound and a real change but we had a dialect coach — Brendan Gunn — who made a CD and he put all our lines into it so I was always listening to them on my iPod. Hammering it in.” And let’s not forget Kat Kirk who plays Sharon in Cherrybomb. She says she thought he did pretty good!

So let’s find out a little more about Rupert and how he personally identifies with his character. We know he was wanted for the role but would he have chosen such a character to portray? “Yeah, I do like Malachy.“ Rupert says. I saw quite a few similarities in him in me – so he was fun to play. And I liked the fact he takes a back seat and looks up to Luke as he always gets the girls.” Malachy has a totally different background to Luke too. “That was important. Malachy has a home life which is good; a nice family and he does well at school. They are opposites in that sense.”

And what about working with two directors? Rupert has many years under his belt of working with famous Harry Potter directors. How did this differ? Rupert notes, “It’s a different dynamic – a different way of working – because you’ve got two people to talk to. And they were very clear. We had this week of rehearsals and we went through the whole script and really got into the detail of it. And I think the edgy look to Luke and Malachy is down to Lisa and Glen. It took a while to get used to the quiff, and my dyed eyebrows and eyelashes!”

What was the most difficult scene to shoot he’s asked. Rupert does not hesitate: the swimming pool scene! “Yeah, that a long day!“ he says. “Me and Rob had to do this big fight scene and wrestle each other into the pool and it got quite out of hand because we’re fighting and scratching it did get pretty violent. Plus we did so many takes and in that pool it got really cold. So it was probably the hardest day I’ve ever done.”

We know Rupert has done a couple of other movies as well as Harry Potter but this is his most adult plot – so how do he feel about that? “It is the most adult thing I’ve done and there are some risky things going on – the drug taking and there’s a bit of romance – so yeah it’s different; it’s good, it’s cool.” And when asked if he is worried about the thought of his parents seeing him in that kind of role Rupert says, “There’s a scene that’s going to be hard to watch with my nan and my family (laughs) but I think it’ll be okay. It’s pretty tastefully done.”

This is an ensemble cast — the three leads and the two dads — and Rupert confirms that they all work closely together throughout the movie. “Yeah, definitely and on top of that each character’s got their own story and arc and change. Some of us grow up quite a lot throughout the film.” Finally, speaking of the message sent by Cherrybomb, Rupert said: “It does deal with modern issues, like drugs and it is a coming-of-age story – especially for my character, because I grow out of that lifestyle and realize there’s more to life than messing about.”

40 Comments to "Rupert Grint Talks Cherrybomb!"

Rick Boyer
January 28th, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I discovered your homepage by coincidence.
Very interesting posts and well written.
I will put your site on my blogroll.
🙂

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 3:20 AM

Sorry about the repost guys, we had to do it to meet requirements. It’s all good.
Wow, amazing interview, innit?

Karin
January 28th, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Well done Ivana!

I want to say something intelligent but we have broken a heat record here today (45.7 degrees, or for those of you who read temperature in fahrenheit: 114.6).

So, I’ll just say…

Interview great. Rupert wonderful. Me want Cherrybomb. Yesterday.

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 3:26 AM

I’m seeing it in less than a month, yay!

Karin
January 28th, 2009 at 3:28 AM

So I heard… Dublin’s a nice place too… Lucky you!

I’m going to have to sit tight and wait for months and months until the Aussies wake up and realise that Cherrybomb exists…

*mopes*

dunigan
January 28th, 2009 at 3:38 AM

aww and i just thought google wised up i didnt know you had to repost, that sucks.

you are so lucky to get to go! toast a pint of guinness to all of us left behind will ya haha

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 3:44 AM

I don’t care if I have to repost ten times – as long as Rupert and Cherrybomb make the headlines!
We’re on a mission here!
*does the Blues Brothers dance*

francaise3
January 28th, 2009 at 3:51 AM

gosh Karin.. 45 degrees! I have minus 1 degree here! 😀

Karin
January 28th, 2009 at 4:01 AM

I know… 45 is like a sauna. Life just slows down, all movements are limited and it’s… Just unreal…

francaise3
January 28th, 2009 at 4:09 AM

for me 30 degrees is sauna! 😀 cant imagine 45…

wicked jo
January 28th, 2009 at 5:23 AM

I was confused for a bit there with the two posts!
This is amazing, ICM is amazing and so is Rupert and CB 🙂
I love that he said the sex scene was tastefully done 🙂

wicked jo
January 28th, 2009 at 5:28 AM

I know everybody probably has said this already on the other post but I love that we get quotes like this which is SO Rupert:
“so yeah it’s different; it’s good, it’s cool.”
but then quotes like this:
don’t you just LOVE him? I can’t wait for the red carpet interviews and Q&A in Berlin

AJ
January 28th, 2009 at 5:54 AM

*after reading the last line*

Is he determined to give away the plot!!!

AJ
January 28th, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Ivana, the interview you posted is the same as the one Jo posted. Was that intentional???

Jo
January 28th, 2009 at 6:10 AM

AJ she had to do it for some requirements on IMDB, it’s happened a lot to us lately so pay no heed. Also, we received news about the trailer a week ago that it was delayed but truth is that we’ve heard two different things. We opted to not post anything on it at this time till we know for sure what is going on. I’ve got lots of messages on this so thought I would bring it up. 🙂

wicked jo
January 28th, 2009 at 6:22 AM

ok Jo, cool. I was going to ask about it here then I wasn’t sure if I should so I just mentioned it at our Forum Club, thanks for explaining 🙂 *hopes we’ll get it ASAP*

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 6:57 AM

I’ve just set Jo’s previous post to private. Hopefully noone will get confused now. Don’t worry guys, all your comments are still there, we’ll activate that post again soon. Sorry about this folks, but what has to be done has to be done. 🙂

FugitiveStar
January 28th, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Ah! Amazing interview! Now I think I’m looking forward to that pool fight scene almost as much as the “tastefully done” love scene.

Ivana
January 28th, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Wow two hot guys fighting in a pool = SEXY!!!
Another thing I’m gonna have to focus on: Rupert’s dyed eyebrows and lashes… *sigh*
it’s a hard life, innit? 😀

Christine
January 28th, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I never wanted that interview to end! OMG. Pool fight …. Rupert, fighting in a pool. I can’t say I’m surprised. But I’m in shock because it’s going to be so hot. 😀

Newer Comments »