The Vision Behind Cherrybomb, a word with filmmaker Brian Philip Davis.

December 23rd, 2008 7:00 PM: On behalf of the staff here at ICM we want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas! We are grateful to be apart of such an amazing fan community and we hope all of your holiday wishes come true. 🙂

While we await for the much anticipated Cherrybomb trailer we thought we would share with you a few exclusives.  Staffer Neglo was given the opportunity to speak with Ireland filmmaker Brian Philip Davis who created all the graphics that were scripted for Rupert Grint’s new film Cherrybomb set for release in 2009. Not only did Brian take time to describe the whole visual aspect of Cherrybomb but he did also mention that the trailer is indeed just around the corner and that it was first shown in Belfast at a screening of ‘Freakdog’, a horror film made by the same company Generator.

He says that they are at a picture lock stage, adding music etc so it must be nearly done. (Keep checking the site, it is almost here!)

Now on to the creative process of Cherrybomb. Brian describes what he did to bring the character’s world to life and also said that this movie is much more stylized than other ‘generic’ films he’s  worked on”.

Spoiler Alert: We have also just been informed that Rupert Grint will have a pretty intense “crying” scene in Cherrybomb. We will share more details as they come!

The World of Cherrybomb with Filmmaker Brian Philip Davis

Filmmaker Brian Philip Davis and his  Cherrybomb vision.

“My job as a graphic artist is to create all the graphics that are scripted as well as items to use for background dressing. It’s usually things like posters, signs, newspapers, driving licenses – things that need to be created especially for the world in which the film is set.

‘Cherrybomb’ is set in a contemporary Belfast and as Glenn Leyburn, one of the directors is also a graphic designer, he had very clear ideas on how he wanted my graphics to look. I worked quite closely with him and the production designer David Craig, to get across a very specific style for this film.

Our main location was a leisure centre, the ‘Titanic Leisureplex’ where Rupert’s character is employed. There are some murals on the walls of the complex that become quite iconic by the end. We also had some very contemporary billboards to place around Belfast, depicting a city that is being rebuilt and looking to the future – these are big themes in the film.

All in all we were all working on quite a low budget but from the rushes I’ve seen it looks fantastic – much more stylized than other ‘generic’ films I’ve worked on”.

Brian Philip Davis/Cherrybomb
copyright ICM 2008

100 Comments to "The Vision Behind Cherrybomb, a word with filmmaker Brian Philip Davis."

suzeeq
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Gah, I’ll probably die of a heart attack. LOL

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:52 PM

All i’m saying is that trailer better not come out on friday afternoon when I’m getting my haircut. *lolz*

EruditeWitch
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:53 PM

I actually read this on the mobile page on my way home from work! Way to go keeping me posted!!!!!

Vanessa
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:53 PM

uh ma gah! anydayanydayanydayanyday!!!! I’m going nuts. *rocks back and forth in corner*

Vanessa
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:54 PM

All I can say is it better not come out on the 27th when i’ll be on a roadtrip……….

Cookimonstress
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:56 PM

OMG! Gimme that trailer now or I’m gonna blow!

rhfan5
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Wow…An intense crying scene, a sex scene, and Rupes possibly playing a murderer? Pretty sure this is going to be my new favorite movie 🙂 Thanks to all the staff at ICM for keeping us updated!

Anonymous
December 23rd, 2008 at 9:59 PM

OH wow!!! Any day now? Is it going to be a teaser trailer or a proper theatrical one that’s like 2+ mins? I’m so excited!!!

I can’t wait for the official Cherrybomb site. It’s gonna be great!

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:01 PM

LMAO!

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Laura remember that Zoolander scene you posted about your happiness over the pictures? How you gonna top that with the trailer? I am curious lol.

DarthKathyGrint
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:09 PM

Right with you, Karin.

mollywobbles
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:17 PM

If the trailer comes out on Christmas, I will just die of happiness. Getting my hands on Beedle the Bard AND a Rupes trailer??? Yeah, that’s me over there in the corner…passed out with a big grin.

I think New Years Day is more likely, though. That would be the most perfect beginning to the Year of Grint!!!

I wonder if my family and friends will look at me oddly if I toast the “Year of Grint” instead of “2009” on New Years Eve as we toast our champagne glasses.

KC
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:24 PM

yay!!! more people!!! 🙂 lol and I really really really really (100,987,679 more reallys) it comes out in the next 3 days.

yweasley
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:27 PM

snithcseeker.com has pics of ron w. ITALIAN action fiqure. looks good says you can start to buy on 12/27/08

oh shit i’m out of money. damn the holidays

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Year of the Grint, I have seen that around a lot so I guess that is our official slogan, I love it. Rupert has to be proud, he’s got such a dedicated fanbase.

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Jo my reaction would be something more like Carlton’s a the end of this clip.

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Well if we didn’t have so much Rupert goodness we might be inclined to mention the action figure right now, but we do!!!!!!!!

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Oh shit that was great Laura, I love Carlton!

Michelle
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I love how everyone is just totally stumped by this movie. Just when we all come up with our own theories, we get a bit of juicy info that makes us stop and say, “WTF??!!?!” in unison.

Man, I love movies like this!!! Low-budget, but no unnecessary trash/filler to get in the way of what the message is trying to get across.

When the trailer finally does comes out, we’re all going to die!!!! And I wonder how many times each of us will watch it?

KC
December 23rd, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Michelle, I’ll probably watch that trailer over and over again until it finally sinks in. And then i’ll die. *shrugs* 😉

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »