The Vision Behind Cherrybomb, a word with filmmaker Brian Philip Davis.

December 23rd, 2008 7:00 PM: On behalf of the staff here at ICM we want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas! We are grateful to be apart of such an amazing fan community and we hope all of your holiday wishes come true. 🙂

While we await for the much anticipated Cherrybomb trailer we thought we would share with you a few exclusives.  Staffer Neglo was given the opportunity to speak with Ireland filmmaker Brian Philip Davis who created all the graphics that were scripted for Rupert Grint’s new film Cherrybomb set for release in 2009. Not only did Brian take time to describe the whole visual aspect of Cherrybomb but he did also mention that the trailer is indeed just around the corner and that it was first shown in Belfast at a screening of ‘Freakdog’, a horror film made by the same company Generator.

He says that they are at a picture lock stage, adding music etc so it must be nearly done. (Keep checking the site, it is almost here!)

Now on to the creative process of Cherrybomb. Brian describes what he did to bring the character’s world to life and also said that this movie is much more stylized than other ‘generic’ films he’s  worked on”.

Spoiler Alert: We have also just been informed that Rupert Grint will have a pretty intense “crying” scene in Cherrybomb. We will share more details as they come!

The World of Cherrybomb with Filmmaker Brian Philip Davis

Filmmaker Brian Philip Davis and his  Cherrybomb vision.

“My job as a graphic artist is to create all the graphics that are scripted as well as items to use for background dressing. It’s usually things like posters, signs, newspapers, driving licenses – things that need to be created especially for the world in which the film is set.

‘Cherrybomb’ is set in a contemporary Belfast and as Glenn Leyburn, one of the directors is also a graphic designer, he had very clear ideas on how he wanted my graphics to look. I worked quite closely with him and the production designer David Craig, to get across a very specific style for this film.

Our main location was a leisure centre, the ‘Titanic Leisureplex’ where Rupert’s character is employed. There are some murals on the walls of the complex that become quite iconic by the end. We also had some very contemporary billboards to place around Belfast, depicting a city that is being rebuilt and looking to the future – these are big themes in the film.

All in all we were all working on quite a low budget but from the rushes I’ve seen it looks fantastic – much more stylized than other ‘generic’ films I’ve worked on”.

Brian Philip Davis/Cherrybomb
copyright ICM 2008

100 Comments to "The Vision Behind Cherrybomb, a word with filmmaker Brian Philip Davis."

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Crying scene?

*sings* And so this is christmasssssss…

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:32 PM

What I like is that it isn’t going to be one of those mainstrain cheesy bloody teen movies like Ruins or something, I mean I am almost more grateful of Rupert doing indie movies because they are always well thought out and intense and full of artsy things. SQUEEEEEE!

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Var-essa? lol

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Ah, now I can go out and finish my last-minute Christmas shopping with my mind resting easy. Well, actually, I’m more keyed-up now than ever…but at least I won’t be screaming at the poor person running the cash register to hurry the hell up with the 50 people in line in front of me so I can come home and read the juicy news.

Okay…I’m off to the mall now…*sigh*

Why do I do this? Every year, I say, “Never again!” And every year, there I am, in the middle of the madness.

*grabs credit card, car keys, hockey mask and nun-chuks*

Wish me luck.

fuck, fuck, fuck…

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:35 PM

They all seem like an artsy crowd. I hope this movie is going to meet my expectations. Maybe I set my goals too high, afterall it is their first feature. I’m going to see it and just let it take me where it wants me to go. LOL

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Good luck Fugitive, I just got out of the holiday madness. People are nuts on the holidays.

suzeeq, I have faith in the CB team and the directing. Lisa and Glenn’s directing is getting tons of positive feedback from the industry so we are good man, we are good.

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I just keep getting this picture in my head of Rupert intensely crying. *dies a little*

December 23rd, 2008 at 8:53 PM

This is my head exploding. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Seriously, I had to take deep breathes before I could read it.

It’s been a long day…lol

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Ooooohhhh…my baby. I’ll probably be crying right along with him. I wonder what he had to think about to get himself to cry like that…

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Okay, Freakdog was shown at the conference where the reporter talked about the trailer, so it was not shown with the public as I thought. So the trailer is still hush hush. lol

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I was thinking that too, like maybe it is Luke who dies and he is crying for him. Ok wishful thinking he he.

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Something even better Jo. Malachy crying IN LUKE’S ARMS

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:22 PM

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I FINALLY GET MY CRYING SCENE!!!!!!!! YIPPPEEE!!!! oh and um… (cough) the graphics should look good too… 😉

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Laura! Oh snap that would be perfect. It would be nice if it is just the two of them in the end, even if one dies, it would still be dramatic and sweet but damn sad. The trailer will help us a lot if we can just get it already.

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:30 PM

I wonder what he meant with “just around the corner”. Is he speaking in a matter of days? weeks?

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Oh man every time I think of him crying like that it makes my stomach feel funny. Like I feel sad, but EXCITED AS FUCK! hahahaha.

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Dove I know exactly how you feel. Laura we have been told by not just Brian but two other people who have worked on CB that the trailer will be any day now. I know it sucks waiting, sooo much anticipation is built up here, I swear we are all going to explode lol.

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:43 PM

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:46 PM

I’m excited over the spoiler. God, think about Ivana’s chart and major award, and this movie! Rupert is going to own! I can’t wait to see him in a major crying scene.

And I love all the designing stuff. I’m really excited to see iconic the mural! I love things like that… a movie that makes you think, but get you on the edge of your seat!

December 23rd, 2008 at 9:51 PM

ANY…… DAY ……… OMFG. That will be the greatests gift I cold ever get on Christmas! And it’s so sad, because it’s just a trailer but…….

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »