The Vision Behind Cherrybomb, a word with filmmaker Brian Philip Davis.

December 23rd, 2008 7:00 PM: On behalf of the staff here at ICM we want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas! We are grateful to be apart of such an amazing fan community and we hope all of your holiday wishes come true. :)

While we await for the much anticipated Cherrybomb trailer we thought we would share with you a few exclusives.  Staffer Neglo was given the opportunity to speak with Ireland filmmaker Brian Philip Davis who created all the graphics that were scripted for Rupert Grint’s new film Cherrybomb set for release in 2009. Not only did Brian take time to describe the whole visual aspect of Cherrybomb but he did also mention that the trailer is indeed just around the corner and that it was first shown in Belfast at a screening of ‘Freakdog’, a horror film made by the same company Generator.

He says that they are at a picture lock stage, adding music etc so it must be nearly done. (Keep checking the site, it is almost here!)

Now on to the creative process of Cherrybomb. Brian describes what he did to bring the character’s world to life and also said that this movie is much more stylized than other ‘generic’ films he’s  worked on”.

Spoiler Alert: We have also just been informed that Rupert Grint will have a pretty intense “crying” scene in Cherrybomb. We will share more details as they come!

The World of Cherrybomb with Filmmaker Brian Philip Davis

Filmmaker Brian Philip Davis and his  Cherrybomb vision.

“My job as a graphic artist is to create all the graphics that are scripted as well as items to use for background dressing. It’s usually things like posters, signs, newspapers, driving licenses – things that need to be created especially for the world in which the film is set.

‘Cherrybomb’ is set in a contemporary Belfast and as Glenn Leyburn, one of the directors is also a graphic designer, he had very clear ideas on how he wanted my graphics to look. I worked quite closely with him and the production designer David Craig, to get across a very specific style for this film.

Our main location was a leisure centre, the ‘Titanic Leisureplex’ where Rupert’s character is employed. There are some murals on the walls of the complex that become quite iconic by the end. We also had some very contemporary billboards to place around Belfast, depicting a city that is being rebuilt and looking to the future – these are big themes in the film.

All in all we were all working on quite a low budget but from the rushes I’ve seen it looks fantastic – much more stylized than other ‘generic’ films I’ve worked on”.

Brian Philip Davis/Cherrybomb
copyright ICM 2008

100 Comments to "The Vision Behind Cherrybomb, a word with filmmaker Brian Philip Davis."

suzeeq
December 23rd, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Jo, it says I don’t have permission to preview drafts.

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 7:59 PM

‘intense’ crying scene. BRING IT ON.

Same here Suz.

suzeeq
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Can you tell I have sitting here for two hours refreshing. lol

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Congrats btw with getting such an exclusive!!!
GO ICM!!

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:01 PM

It says it is public! hmmm let me check it.

Jessica
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:01 PM

I can’t read it either.

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:03 PM

what about now?

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Nope.

suzeeq
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Nope.

wicked jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:06 PM

the link isn’t working for me either, just giving me an error message :( but I’m so happy that ICM got this exclusive and I can’t wait to read the full interview!

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Do you think I would just leave it and not correct it wicked jo! lol. look i added the text, can you see it?

Jessica
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I can see the text. Thanks Jo! Very cool. Just from the photos we’ve seen, I love the film’s stylized look.

This part interested me most: “We also had some very contemporary billboards to place around Belfast, depicting a city that is being rebuilt and looking to the future – these are big themes in the film.”

I wonder if CB will be a bit more political than I had originally thought. Very interesting. This film is such an enigma to me.

suzeeq
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Oh Jo, this is great. I posted at the R/E forums for the chicas over there. LOL So people who saw freakdog has seen the trailer. It just ain’t fair.

AJ
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I recall thinking that when I first saw the pictures, that it was very stylized….

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:15 PM

What a great exclusive! Go neglo!!

And an intense crying scene. This movie is seriously like a dream come true for me.

FugitiveStar
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Wow, you guys rock getting such an exclusive. I am always extremely interested in the visual aspects of movie-making: the art direction, costumes, cinematography and lighting, the graphic design work such as what Mr. Davis provided. I love to see how it all comes together to set the tone and style of the film and flesh out the characters in the story. It sounds like they’ve done a pretty great job on this one. Nothing is random, everything is carefully and thoughtfully placed, just as he said even the murals on the walls and the billboards echo and symbolize themes of the movie.

I’ll be peeking around that corner for the trailer. Any day now, huh? *nailbiting*

And my hunch about the “spoiler” was right! Haha! Go on, Rupert! Act your pretty little ass off in this movie, you future-Academy-Award-winning-and-legendary-movie-star, you!

Jo
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I thought it was pretty exciting too, the colors in this film almost remind of fantasy like Jim henson shit or something, I don’t know I just love it!!!

Laura
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:26 PM

I had no idea that Glenn Leyburn is a graphic designer aswell. That’s pretty damn cool. Combine that with the cool David Holmes and you got one fierce looking/sounding movie. Gah!

Varessa
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:29 PM

I am really getting thrown off of what I initially thought this movie was gonna be like. I have to say, I am stumped. Everytime I hear something new about this film, I get even more excited! If thats even possible..

suzeeq
December 23rd, 2008 at 8:30 PM

He has done some designs for David Holmes. I think they all went to school together. lol

Newer Comments »